• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Virus Tied to Fatigue, HIV May Be in Blood Supply

Otis

Señor Mumbler
I don't think the author of the title read the article as posted on Newser. That should say 'XMRV may be in blood supply'.

The article also states: No tests for the virus have yet proven completely accurate, and, chillingly, researchers have suggested that XMRV is treatable with the same drugs used to combat HIV.

I'm not sure what's chilling about HIV drugs possibly treating XMRV. This article/title is probably just a really bad summary of the WSJ article (or an aggregation application messing up in grand stype) but winds up being irresponsible dissemination of the "news".

Otis

parvofighter

Thanks again IF!

Islandfinn, you're on fire!

Here's my take, CFS, Otis and Danib. It's welcome (and not at all surprising) news to us that we might be infected with a cousin of HIV. It's chilling to those who thought CFS was "nothing" - finally they're realizing just how seriously ill we have been all along.

Chilling is great!

Just chillin' here with my bone.:Retro smile:

Otis

Señor Mumbler
I don't think the author of the title read the article as posted on Newser. That should say 'XMRV may be in blood supply'.

The article also states: No tests for the virus have yet proven completely accurate, and, chillingly, researchers have suggested that XMRV is treatable with the same drugs used to combat HIV.

I'm not sure what's chilling about HIV drugs possibly treating XMRV. This article/title is probably just a really bad summary of the WSJ article (or an aggregation application messing up in grand stype) but winds up being irresponsible dissemination of the "news".

Otis

MEKoan

It's been changed to:

"Virus XMRV, Loosely Tied to Fatigue Syndrome and Cancer, May"

I think the content is churned out pretty quickly "for patients and their families" and they just got lucky that such an official sounding domain happened to be available.

serenity

i'm with ya' Parvo, i feel the same way. i knew i was that sick, it isn't news to me.
but i used to be in PR & i know media - that is strong wording, the type that is meant to get attention.
can't decide if it's good or bad, but all PR is good PR i guess ...

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Islandfinn, you're on fire!

Here's my take, CFS, Otis and Danib. It's welcome (and not at all surprising) news to us that we might be infected with a cousin of HIV. It's chilling to those who thought CFS was "nothing" - finally they're realizing just how seriously ill we have been all along.

Chilling is great!

Just chillin' here with my bone.:Retro smile:

Islandfinn, despite his modesty, is definitely kicken butt and taking names. :victory:

It was the screwy headline that did make me wonder about this article. The words 'HIV May Be in Blood Supply' do really jump out. I hope that didn't freak too make people out. Of course until we know how to deal with XMRV it's more dangerous to the blood supply than HIV given the lack of screening.

But I'm happy to see some third tier news sites picking stories up, even in such an squirrely way.

Parvo, maybe I need to take up the bone habit and chill right along with you. Woof! :Retro smile:

Otis

serenity

it's sensationalistic journalism, not particularly ethical or accurate but not inaccurate either - just puttin a spin that makes it sound ominous. & that is ok, i guess, except as Otis said ... we aren't looking to freak people out, just give them the facts.

JT1024

:thumbsup:

Island Finn! Keep it coming!

Part of me wishes I could do the research you do but the other part of me is thankful I can still (barely) work full time.

A big thank you for all the great finds!

~ JT