• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Virology Blog: Is Vilyuisk encephalitis a viral disease?

justinreilly

Prof. Racaniello discusses the association of cardioviruses to a Human chronic encephalitis in Russia. My comment is below.

http://www.virology.ws/2011/02/10/is-vilyuisk-encephalitis-a-viral-disease/

Prof. R,

If I were you I would be sick of hearing lay opinions on potential virus causation of ME ("CFS"), especially in response to a seemingly unrelated post of yours. Sorry. But it seems to me that cardioviruses (the viruses discussed in this post) and closely related enteroviruses are, next to retroviruses, the likeliest cause of ME. The pathology associated with cardioviruses are (often chronic) encephalomyelitis and myocarditis, just as in ME. Enteroviruses have been strongly associated with ME by British researchers and Dr. Chia; and the post-polio syndrome is generally recognized as a form of ME. I'd love to see funding from NIH for research in this area. Any musings on this?

Enid

Many thanks justin - gosh how it all ties up - encephalitis, cardio problems, post polio type problems all part of my own grizzly picture. And also never doubted ME was viral from onset 11 years ago.

alex3619

It is likely that all forms of encephalitis, and probably meningitis as well, can induce ME, or a different disease with very similar symptoms. Lipkin has proposed that there is a subclass he calls Atypical ME in which there is a stable cytokine profile and this includes encephalitis survivors.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
On the anti-viral note, I am happy to share that I have benefited from taking the herb, Andrographis.

Antiviral properties of ent-labdene diterpenes of Andrographis ...
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ptr.1765/pdf
by C Wiart - ‎2005 - ‎Cited by 145 - ‎Related articles
Recent interest in the antiviral activities of plant ex- tracts has been rekindled and has been the subject of intense scientific investigation. Thus several medicinal plant extracts have shown antiviral activities against some RNA and DNA viruses. Among these plants is Andrographis paniculata Nees (Acanthaceae) which.

Antiviral and Immunostimulant Activities of Andrographis paniculata ...
https://www.researchgate.net/.../307707579_Antiviral_and_Immunostimulant_Activities...
by OB PONGTULURAN - ‎2015 - ‎Cited by 1 - ‎Related articles
Dec 19, 2017 - Andrographis paniculata (Burm. f.) Nees is a medicinal plant which was reported to have anti HIV, anti pathogenic bacteria and immunoregulatory activities. The research purpose was to investigate the activity of Andrographis paniculata ethanol extract as antiviral and immunostimulant. A. paniculata leaves ...

The Health Benefits of Andrographis | LIVESTRONG.COM
https://www.livestrong.com › Food and Drink
Oct 3, 2017 - Andrographis may also help to prevent and treat cancer, and preliminary studies done in test tubes found that extracts of andrographis help to treat stomach, skin, prostate and breast cancer. Due to the herb's antiviral properties, andrographis is used to treat herpes and it is also currently being studied as a ...