First of all, I read that a herx reaction is most commonly associated with bacteria (usually spirochetes), and you get a "die off" reaction when the antibiotics kill off the bacteria, and your immune system reacts to the toxins that are released. I'm not really understanding how you would get a herx reaction from a viral infection because you're not killing anything, you're just stopping the replication.
Are you guys taking any digestive supplements? I'm just taking the Culturelle probiotic with 10 billion Lactobacillus GG. (Supposedly "sticks" better than acidophilus.) I'm wondering if I should be supplementing with anything else for digestive health.
And little update, I haven't taken the cimetidine in about 4 days. My back is starting to itch where the shingles rash usually appears, but I don't feel sick yet. My throat is burning, but it only hurts with acidic foods. I'll probably take one today and increase my valacyclovir for a couple days. I was trying to take a break so I could take some of my other medications that interact with it.