• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

video: Herpes infection protecting from other infections?

linusbert

some research on MICE (... still interesting thou) suggests that herpes infection protected from other dangerous bacteria infections.
could those nasty viruses have benefits for humans too?

lenora

My husband has been plagued by Herpes Simplex 1. I, on the other hand have never had it (maybe once or twice), nor have our daughters. On the other hand I've had shingles for a total of 4 times, 3 infections in one year which left me bedridden and damaged....in other words, made everything worse.

I wonder how this is possible as kissing or even living in the same household for 56 years can expose us to all sorts of viruses. I'll tell you that I never want another case of shingles in my life. People who are interested should look into the "new" vaccine (probably 5 yrs. old) that is available. It's a destructive illness. Lenora

lenora

I should have added that even though he was in close contact (I was pretty well bedridden for a year), my husband did not have shingles.

However, as soon as the new vaccine was available we both took advantage of it. This was before COVID & Co., and we had no reaction (apart from sore arms) to either immunization (two in total, about a month apart.) Having shingles was one of the biggest challenge I've had. It was probably caused by internal stress. There is a short period when you can pass it along to others, but it doesn't last long. Newborn babies and people with autoimmune disorders are at higher risk. I hope you're all doing fairly well. Yours, Lenora