• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very low DHEA/DHEA:Cortisol Ratio in a 28-year-old male?

Hi there folks,

I recently received the results from a 24-hour Salivary Cortisol/DHEA profile via Genova Diagnostics, and I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the results;

z7mijWM.jpg

My cortisol levels appear to be outside the normal range, but not critically so; however, my DHEA and DHEA:Cortisol Ratio both appear to be well below the normal range for my gender and age.

I was diagnosed with CFS/ME in 2010 after years of intermittent, and gradually more frequent periods of fatigue throughout my teens and early twenties.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - feel free to ask me any questions!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 15

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
The way i look at it is that dhea has a job to do and if its below range then one should try to get it into a more optimal level. Better dhea levels may help optimise your cortisol levels, may?? Low dhea is a sign of adrenal fatigue/dysfunction.
I think its best to start with low doses like 5mg and slowly increase the dose to no more then 25mg. I think this is the best way to go as dhea can be overstimulating at first but with time this does go away if it happens??If one needs higher doses then 25mg, then start adding dhea to a night time dosage eg 25mg in the morning and 10mg at night.

I think getting it to the middle of the normal range is fine, i think pushing it higher can increase estrogen levels in alot of guys. SO also good to have a full hormone panel with testosterone, free testosterone, estrodiol along with dhea and cortisol.

With high night time cortisol i would look at trying to get it down as it will help u sleep and improve sleep quality?? Phosphatidyleserine can help as well as a few herbs such as withania etc

Ema

You've lost your AM cortisol peak which is usually what happens before cortisol drops low all the time. Right now you are low in the morning and then high all the rest of the day/evening.

I would agree with @heapsreal, consider looking at phosphatidylserine in the afternoon/night as well as DHEA in the AM to try to help reset your circadian rhythm. Also, try to expose yourself to sunlight as soon as you wake up.

Ema

As I think about it, you might be one of those rare birds that would do well supplementing 5-10mg of hydrocortisone in the AM.

This might perk up your peak and also lower your midday levels as well without suppressing your adrenals totally.

Hi again, folks - just a quick update!

Firstly, thanks for your responses. I've acquired some Phosphatidylserine, and have been experimenting with it for the last few days. My current regimen is a 300mg dose with my evening meal, followed by additional 300mg doses every hour as necessary. It may be too early to say definitively at this point, but I believe I'm winding down more easily at night - however, I've noticed my daytime fatigue has markedly increased, and I'm concerned that may be fallout from the Phosphatidylserine impacting my daily cortisol levels.

DHEA is also on the way, but I'm tempted to hang fire on that for now while I look into the following matter;

My abnormal DHEA/Cortisol results have made me more mindful of a hormonal irregularity being the source of my fatigue, and I've become increasingly curious about Hypopituitarism, particularly GHD (Growth Hormone Deficiency) - I did suffer mild/moderate head trauma during a fall in 2005, and although I believe the onset of my illness predates this event, I have always considered that year as a milestone in the decline of my health.

I have an appointment with my doctor next Tuesday, and I'm going to request a referral to an endocrinologist - something I should have done years ago. Hindsight is always 20/20, as they say.

:)

Last edited:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Are u doing anything to raise morning cortisol. Maybe too much PS could be effecting u through the day, maybe cut back on the PS.

Look into pregnenolone too.

Are you doing anything with immune/infections. I think for cfsme it's closer to the cause. Other things are secondary issues but may notice better effects from hormones etc once the immune/infection stuff is treated.

it's a jigsaw puzzle? ?

Hi Heapsreal!

My DHEA arrived on Saturday, and I've been giving that a try; 50mg in the morning. I suspect this may be too high a dose - unfortunately, they are in capsule form, which will make splitting them rather problematic!

So far, I have mixed thoughts on DHEA - I find it quite stimulating for perhaps, 30 - 60 minutes, and then it completely flattens me. It's sedative effect was so powerful that I actually tried taking one at night to see if it would help me sleep!

- I understand that men will convert excess DHEA to estrogen, which may explain the sedating effect.

Pregnenolone looks interesting; after my adverse reaction to DHEA, the notion of "going up the chain" is appealing and I may look into it.

I've also been considering Melatonin supplementation to correct my circadian rhythm, which has been pretty much non-existent for years, but I'm disinclined to try that without proper testing for a deficiency first.

As for immune/infections, my last blood test came back with a normal white cell count, although I appreciate there may be more complex factors at work here.