• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

valtrex withdrawal symptoms

herpesbaby

Hi. I've been on valtrex 3 grams per day for 6 weeks. Stopped 2 days ago and been having annoying ongoing headache ever since.
I was taking it as per Lerner's. But then saw someone's posts on here when posters said taking antivirals prevent your body to make antibodies. So I stopped valtrex. I didn't like taking pills daily anyway. I don't have an insurance so stopping it was a financial relief too.
But did anyone experience headache as withdrawal symptom?

Wonkmonk

I didn't when I stopped in June for a few weeks, but the symptoms of my CFS started to worsen pretty quickly after stopping. Could it be that effect in your case?

Btw, did that person provide evidence for the antibody claim? I really read a lot about Valtrex and never heard anything like that.

I recall Dr Lerner saying in one of his lectures and his papers that it has to be taken for at least 4-6 months to see any improvement (which I can confirm in my case), so maybe the 6 weeks were not enough to have a good effect.

ebethc

btw - from what I understand, the antivirals stop the virus from replicating, they don't eradicate the virus from your body..that happens over time... Ask your Doc sister about this

herpesbaby

btw - from what I understand, the antivirals stop the virus from replicating, they don't eradicate the virus from your body..that happens over time... Ask your Doc sister about this
I did ask her. She confirmed that it is possible for patients with herpes who take long courses of valtrex to stop making antibodies to the virus because valtrex is preventing the virus from reproducing. That's why they test negative - even though they still have the virus - but the body stopped making antibodies.

I found out about it on my 4th week on valtrex. Wanted to stop it immediately, she suggested that therapy should be at least 6 weeks.

herpesbaby

I can tell you right now my dizziness and headache is back. I felt the same way when I just got sick. I think feeling crappy in my case is probably immune system fighting the virus. I feel like shit from herpes because it was not in my dna. People whose parents or grandparents had herpes develop antibodies quicker. I came to this conclusion after some research. I've decided to tolerate this discomfort for some time. We will see how it goes. I figured I can always go back on valtrex if I want to. I've been sick since April 17th after unprotected sex on Aptil 2nd.

Wonkmonk

When you say your parents did not have herpes, it depends on what you mean by "herpes." It may be possible that they did not have cold sores (HSV-1, ~60% of the population is infected) and it is likely they did not have genital herpes (HSV-2, ~15% is infected).

But they are almost certain to have had Varicella, Epstein Barr and HHV6, all of which are herpes viruses and ~95-99% of the population is infected with all of them as adults. I have them all, and you very likely do, too, and your parents as well.

So when you say your parents didn't have herpes, it could only be HSV-1 or HSV-2. But these are the herpes viruses that are actually the least suspicious ones when it comes to being a possible trigger for CFS.

I also don't think you have to worry a lot about your parents' DNA with respect to herpes virus infections. These viruses trigger immune response that fights the active infection and occasional reactivation after the virus went dormant and stays in a latent state in the body. But as I understand having had a herpes virus infection doesn't confer any additional immunity on the offspring in terms of more rapid development of antibodies.

Wonkmonk

I did ask her. She confirmed that it is possible for patients with herpes who take long courses of valtrex to stop making antibodies to the virus because valtrex is preventing the virus from reproducing. That's why they test negative - even though they still have the virus - but the body stopped making antibodies.

I think there has to be a misunderstanding. If you have a primary infection or reactivation with active herpes virus replication, your immune system produces IgM antibodies. If you take Valtrex, active replication stops, and the body stops producing IgM antibodies, but that's a good thing because they are no longer needed.

Also, if you ever had a herpes virus infection, you never test negative. The virus stays in a dormant state in the body without replicating and another type of antibody, IgG antibodies, will be present for the rest of your life. Every once in a while, there is a reactivation of the virus and it starts to replicate. If the patient is immunocompetent, the body quickly produces IgM antibodies and attacks the virus and fights it back into the dormant state.

As long as there is active herpes virus replication, your immune system will produce IgM antibodies and attack the virus - with or without Valtrex. Only once active replication has been suppressed, it stops producing IgM antibodies. That's going to happen faster if you take Valtrex, but it isn't any sort of immune system dysfunction because of the Valtrex. It is how things ought to be.

At least that's my understanding, please correct if I'm wrong.

herpesbaby

I don't mean to disrespect, I appreciate your opinion but I will only follow Doctor of Medicine's advice. Doctor of Medicine told me antibodies for herpes don't mean anything, that's the harsh truth. She told me not to waste my time and money passing antibodies tests for herpes. @Wonkmonk, wasn't you the one whose liver or kidney got damaged on valtrex so I don't understand why u r lobbying it. You don't have to be a Doctor to have logic and common sense, that tells you that taking toxic pills daily cannot be good.

herpesbaby

When you say your parents did not have herpes, it depends on what you mean by "herpes." It may be possible that they did not have cold sores (HSV-1, ~60% of the population is infected) and it is likely they did not have genital herpes (HSV-2, ~15% is infected).

But they are almost certain to have had Varicella, Epstein Barr and HHV6, all of which are herpes viruses and ~95-99% of the population is infected with all of them as adults. I have them all, and you very likely do, too, and your parents as well.

So when you say your parents didn't have herpes, it could only be HSV-1 or HSV-2. But these are the herpes viruses that are actually the least suspicious ones when it comes to being a possible trigger for CFS.

I also don't think you have to worry a lot about your parents' DNA with respect to herpes virus infections. These viruses trigger immune response that fights the active infection and occasional reactivation after the virus went dormant and stays in a latent state in the body. But as I understand having had a herpes virus infection doesn't confer any additional immunity on the offspring in terms of more rapid development of antibodies.
I meant GENITAL HERPES. My pain is MY symptoms. My trigger was Genital herpes.
Please educate yourself on how immune system works before you argue with people.
Immune system is not Strong or Weak, it's all about if it recognizes certain bugs.

Wonkmonk

@herpesbaby Yes, that is correct, I had some problems with my kidney function, I wrote in a separate thread about it. But I am not sure what the connection is to the antibody question we are discussing here.

herpesbaby

@herpesbaby Yes, that is correct, I had some problems with my kidney function, I wrote in a separate thread about it. But I am not sure what the connection is to the antibody question we are discussing here.

You said "I recall Dr Lerner saying in one of his lectures and his papers that it has to be taken for at least 4-6 months to see any improvement (which I can confirm in my case), so maybe the 6 weeks were not enough to have a good effect".

Meaning you wanted me to continue taking valtrex. One would think after seeing first hand that valtrex is toxic you'd be against it.

Learner1

It is important to be monitored on Valtrex, Valcyte, etc. for kidney, liver, and bone marrow function.

Its also helpful to be on a nutrient support program to promote liver, kidney, and bone marrow health.

And, as my expert CFS doc says, "Beating these infections back is the most important thing. They're damaging your body and promoting autoimmune antibodies which are making you sicker. You'll be on these drugs for many months, but we'll monitor you the entire time and back off if we need to."

And though IgG antibodies will be there if you've had a past infection, there are most definitely situations where high values indicate a recurrent infection. I spent a year wondering if I actually had some of the infections I do, and had a few doctors dismiss them as I had no IgM readings. But, when I got to my expert CFS doc, he said "I know what we were taught in medical school, but these values indicate that you absolutely have an active infection."

Its important to use different methods to test for infections. He found a huge hidden EBV infection that hadnt shown up on other tests as my immune system was too compromised to register. Its important to know what infections you have so you know how to fight them best.

Having immunoglobulins checked (with subclasses) is also a good idea. Apparently, some of us need IVIG for out immune systems to work well enough to fight off the infections with the drugs.

Wonkmonk

Meaning you wanted me to continue taking valtrex.

Sorry, but that has to be a misunderstanding, I never "wanted you to" do anything. I just shared my own experience and what is in Dr Lerner's studies.

But if you wish, I can stop commenting on your posts.

herpesbaby

You didn't share your experience. You were suggesting something that contradicts your experience. I brought your experience up. Please do stop commenting on my post because I don't think you wish me well. @Wonkmonk

Tella

Hi. I've been on valtrex 3 grams per day for 6 weeks. Stopped 2 days ago and been having annoying ongoing headache ever since.
I was taking it as per Lerner's. But then saw someone's posts on here when posters said taking antivirals prevent your body to make antibodies. So I stopped valtrex. I didn't like taking pills daily anyway. I don't have an insurance so stopping it was a financial relief too.
But did anyone experience headache as withdrawal symptom?
Hey how r u now?