• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

valdoxan/agomelatine sleep aid, antidepressant

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i think it has been released in australia, has anyone in australia or else where for that matter used this, mainly as a sleep aid? looking into how it works, it looks like a cross between melatonin and mirtazapine as it works on reuptake of melatonin and 5ht2 serotonin receptors which are good for sleep. It appears to be marketed as an antidepressant for those with accompanying insomnia. it all sounds promising but not alot of info on personal use can be found at the moment.

cheers!!!!

merylg

Have just started on Valdoxan 25 mg. The pharmacist has printed "Take ONE tablet in the morning", but the package insert says to take in the evening! Bit confusing. Desperate for some quality sleep, took one in afternoon & immediately fell asleep for quite a few hours. Woke about 9:30 pm feeling restored & with improved mood. No adverse side effects noticed yet.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Sorry to be a bit OT, but it IS about a sleep aid.

My local doc just gave me a tincture of catnip (she makes it herself so I can't give you a brand) and told me to take 60 - 120 drops when I was really wired and tired--you know the deal, the more tired you get the less you can sleep.

It was magic. Slept 12 hours (not more than needed cause I was in deficit) and wasn't groggy. I took 60 drops. Heh, heh, prove that we aren't cats I guess. They seem to get frisky on catnip.

Nothing works for everyone but this has been a boon for me and I'm sure you can buy catnip tincture commercially.

Best,
Sushi

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Have just started on Valdoxan 25 mg. The pharmacist has printed "Take ONE tablet in the morning", but the package insert says to take in the evening! Bit confusing. Desperate for some quality sleep, took one in afternoon & immediately fell asleep for quite a few hours. Woke about 9:30 pm feeling restored & with improved mood. No adverse side effects noticed yet.

I thought it was more of a sleep aid, i would be inclined to take it at night. good to see its helping. Can u tell us how much its costs here in the land down under. mm tempting to give it a go myself.

cheers!!!

merylg

Valdoxan Tablets 25 mg x 28 (Servier) $59 in Australia.
Rang Dr's surgery today to check...said "She can take it at whatever time of day she wants to, as long as she takes it".
I'll work it out.

Sushi...thanks for telling me about Catnip for wired/tired.

merylg

I only took Valdoxan for about 5 nights. It DID help normalise my out-of-phase sleep cycle. On the 5th night though, I could not get to sleep.
I also had bad muscle and tendon pain from it.

On the morning of the 5th day:

I woke late with exhaustion, fatigue, drowsiness, flat mood, droopy face, could not breathe/shallow breathing, dry nose, dehydrated, depressed and my spine was aching at Lower Cervical/Upper Thoracic level. I vaguely remembered my son had tried to rouse me earlier, for me to drive him to the station...but he couldn't rouse me.

meryl

merylg

FYI,

Valdoxan (Agolmelatine) is a bioisostere of Naphthalene! :eek::eek::eek:
Ya gotta love how the pharmaceutical industry can modify a poison to "reduce it's toxicity" whilst "enhancing it's biological properties" to turn it into a drug for mass consumption! :confused:

meryl