• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valacyclovir (Valtrex) triggering anxiety?

Hi,

My PwME is on 1 g of Valacyclovir (Valtrex) a day, and I have noticed that she has become more anxious lately. I am wondering whether the medication is triggering her anxiety. Did anyone find themselves becoming more anxious when taking Valtrex?

Thanks!

I did, along with an enhanced sense of alertness/awake feeling.

Starting with a lower dose (250mg) and working upwards helped reduce the anxiety feeling.

My speculation is that anything that successfully "switches" from ME/CFS state to healthy will induce some anxiety, simply due to the jarring increase in alertness by definition. That's been my experience, at least. But I haven't found anything that maintains this "switch" to healthy for more than a couple days.

Starting with a lower dose (250mg) and working upwards helped reduce the anxiety feeling.

My speculation is that anything that successfully "switches" from ME/CFS state to healthy will induce some anxiety, simply due to the jarring increase in alertness by definition. That's been my experience, at least. But I haven't found anything that maintains this "switch" to healthy for more than a couple days.

Glad it made you feel better. Sorry it didn’t last. Unfortunately my partner is experiencing anxiety without the increased alertness.

that's an interesting hypothesis. I've noticed that some thing every time I take something that makes me feel well. I get an aversive reaction to it cause it's a shock.

most recent was Thymosin alpha 1 that did it. after a few weeks I'm still feeling better, but not jarred or nervous.

gonna try increase Valtrex slowly after reading all this.

godlovesatrier

In the early days it did make me feel wired afterwards. Again assume this is the healthy switch being flicked. It also only lasts 4 hours per dose, which is not very long at all.

My anxiety is bad right now but that is due to life stress not valtrex.

The thing is anxiety will fuck with your HPA anyway and valtrex prevents my HPA from turning me into a puddle of zero energy on the floor unable to function or think. So the tradeoff is worthit IF and it's a big if, you're HPA axis issues respond to valtrex and appear to be caused by ebv.

Sadly for me five months ago I experienced 90% for the first time in seven years, yet I am struggling to regain it now. I am still not sure if it was the valtrex but I feel fairly confident. Life stress however and work stress makes regaining this 90% very difficult.

I think it's worthit, my issue with valtrex is kidney stones, that is a much bigger issue :(

In the early days it did make me feel wired afterwards. Again assume this is the healthy switch being flicked. It also only lasts 4 hours per dose, which is not very long at all.

My anxiety is bad right now but that is due to life stress not valtrex.

The thing is anxiety will fuck with your HPA anyway and valtrex prevents my HPA from turning me into a puddle of zero energy on the floor unable to function or think. So the tradeoff is worthit IF and it's a big if, you're HPA axis issues respond to valtrex and appear to be caused by ebv.

Sadly for me five months ago I experienced 90% for the first time in seven years, yet I am struggling to regain it now. I am still not sure if it was the valtrex but I feel fairly confident. Life stress however and work stress makes regaining this 90% very difficult.

I think it's worthit, my issue with valtrex is kidney stones, that is a much bigger issue :(
wow I 90% sounds like a fairy tale to me.

I am happy for you that you experienced that and hope it returns for you.

I'm not sure about EBV but I figured Valtrex is good cause I have coldsores so
it decreases the viral load.

but I'm hearing that the benefit from Valtrex isn't from the viral aspect anyway?