• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valacyclovir or Famvir?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i am definatelty better from famvir and the addition of cycloferon which stimulates the mimmune system, so the combo has definately help lower my viral load, i still have residual fatigue and slleep problems and tests have shown i have adrenal fatigue which i am now persuing and hopefully get another boost.

cheers!!!

Grape Funk

Heaps, im thinking bout goin on Valcyte or famvir depending on my hhv6a/cmv/CP/mycoplasma results. Already high for EBV(and have been for some time now) since the original onset of EBV like symptoms, then mono succeeding complementing the CFS. your insight and stories have compelled me to give em a go.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
u will never know until u have a go.
good luck and keep us all updated, i would be maybe tempted to try famvir first as its less toxic and may do the job, plus if u do change over the valcyte it can reduce the die off from valcyte or so i have heard.

cheers!!!

I am a patient of Dr. Lerner and have EBV only.

I tried valacyclovir 1 gram 4x a day and could not continue as it was causing lots of problems. Been on famvir(generic) this is day 3 and it seems easier on digestive system. I don't feel too good right now like I have some kind of respitory flu but maybe this is a hex response? Anyway, I am committed to seeing this through.

I favor Famvir Acyclovir and Valtrex in that order.

Just to weigh in on this discussion briefly, I hwas taking Acyclovir and Valtrex for a few months without much success. But after hearing about the successes some PWMEs were having with Famvir I decided to try that as a replacement or occasional substitute for those gigantic Valtrex tablets. I noticed that the Famvir worked better than the Valtrex, although even taking all three -- and be careful not to damage your liver by taking too much that way! -- only reduces my pain fatigue and other problems about 20%. They wanted $47 per pill for Famvir at my local pharmacy here in the U.S.. So, I hunted around on the web and found that the cheapest Canadian price for them was, get this, only $208 delivered -- usually in about a week - for a a bottle of 100 500mg. tablets. That means I can take one tablet every day for only ~$60/month! Sometimes I do take two of them, just to see if it makes any difference, -- unfortunately, I'm not yet sure about that, since I've only done random days, not, say, a whole fortnight or two weeks -- but I will try the higher dose for that length of time soon and report the results here. I'm not sure whether I can mention the pharmacy with the lowest prices here or not. But I can certainly say, I trust, that I get them from "Langley, B.C.," near Vancouver, and that the place calls itself a "Discount Pharmacy" and considers itself to be located in the great "North West," like Seattle does, even though it is actually in the southwest of Canada. For you medical sleuths out there, the pharmacy also includes some of the words just cited here in its name.

Give them a try if you want, and if you don't have bad allergies or other sensitivities that might interfere with them. It's probably best to start with only a half or even just a quarter tab. Who knows, maybe you'll get a 30% relief from them, which, if you are anywhere near as ill as I've been since the end of 1990, should still make a big difference in how you feel and what you are able to do. I hope that this information of help to someone out there!! As for me, I'm going to bust open my piggy bank yet again -- I figure this disease has cost me more than a million dollars so far! -- and try to get into one of the new Retuximab trials already underway here in the U.S., even though I have heard widely conflicting reports about its efficacy in treating ME/CFS. But at 57, I have to try just about anything if I am going to have any chance of being healthy again and enjoying life a bit before whatever is ultimately fated to do me in altogether comes round with the Reaper man. Ah, but I should take heart, since I just read that Dr. Suess is now 108 and still going strong!

ebethc

if its just ebv i would pick valtrex because its more cost effective, but if u have ebv as well as or by itself cmv, hhv6 i would go famvir. Myself as well as others with multiple herpes infections have had good resultd with famvir. Im in the ebv/cmv group and my lymphocyte markers have come down with famvir as well as symptom improvement, i did change to valtrex for awhile and got worse. Others with hhv6 have seen it help reduce their viral load as well.

doesn't valtrex have terrible side effects at the higher doses required for CFS? how is it compared to the Famvir side effects profile?

Tella

How’s everyone feeling on this thread?
do u only treat viruses if Titres are high or do they have to Be active? Thx

How’s everyone feeling on this thread?
do u only treat viruses if Titres are high or do they have to Be active? Thx

Hi Tella, I wasn't in this thread before, but I believe many people follow Dr. Lerner's indications for when to treat with antivirals:
http://www.treatmentcenterforcfs.com/documents/MECFSTreatmentResourceGuideforPractitioners.pdf

A diagnosis of Epstein-Barr virus(EBV) infection is made with a positive EBV EA antibody diffuse and/or a positive VCA IgM antibody.
A diagnosis of cytomegalovirus(CMV) infection is made with an elevated CMV IgG titer. The IgM titer for CMV is inaccurate and insensitive. The higher the CMV IgG titer, the greater the viral load. Human herpes virus 6 infection is made with an elevated titer at least twice normal. The diagnosis of EBV, CMV, or HHV6 ME/CFS meets the Canadian consensus and Fukuda CFS criteria.

He doesn't mention what to consider for HHV6, although I would assume IgM titer on that one as well.