• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vaccine-triggered CFS linked to nasopharynx inflammation, and 81% cured or improved by treating this nasopharyngitis

Hipsman

56% of the healthy population also test positive for mild-moderate nasopharyngitis, so this finding is interesting, but not as significant as finding severe nasopharyngitis.
I also have mucus dripping down my throat (but never through the nose) every 5-10 minutes that may come from nasopharyngitis - chronic infection in Nasopharynx area.

I am now back to using oil-onion juice-honey mixture instead of zinc chloride on Nasopharynx for 4-5 days straight, and unlike the sinusitis version of this treatment that had to be cycled ON/OFF (to not lose effectiveness), this doesn't lose it's effectiveness over time if used without ON/OFF cycle.

In short, I used this with oil-onion juice-honey mixture instead of zinc chloride and it put me into near remission after the first use by removing chronic fatigue and PEM, but these symptoms returned after 18 hours and it didn't work after second application.
Before I had this major improvement in symptoms, I thought that somehow sinusitis was causing the mucus dripping, but I do not qualify for chronic sinusitis diagnosis, because my nasal cavities aren't blocked according to MRI/CT scan and as stated by several good Drs. I only have mild mucus congestion area in one of maxillary cavities (according to CT scan) that I think may come from inflammation in Nasopharynx area.

That's a reasonable theory, but remember that zinc is a good topical antiviral and antibacterial, so as well as being anti-inflammatory, it may also inhibit infection.
I couldn't find information on zinc or ZnCl2 antibacterial properties, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

Hip

I also have mucus dripping down my throat (but never through the nose) every 5-10 minutes that may come from nasopharyngitis - chronic infection in Nasopharynx area.

That is probably a condition called post-nasal drip.

I couldn't find information on zinc or ZnCl2 antibacterial properties, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

Just putting zinc antibacterial into Google gives lots of info.

Hipsman

I've been doing nasopharyngitis treatment with onion juice and honey (50/50 solution) x2 daily for more than 2 weeks. My mild-moderate nasopharyngitis is now gone, I feel significantly less PEM. This improvement is similar (but not as strong) to short term improvements from my nasal treatment, but now the effect doesn't wear off! I will continue the treatment for at least a few mounts. I still have what seems like post-nasal drip and this treatment doesn't reduce the amount of mucus produced.

Also, a good way to get long cotton swabs is to connect the two with a toothpick. It's reliable and doesn't brake even when rubbing very hard. However, choose thick toothpicks, otherwise they may not secure swabs in place.
1580583897028.png
Upd: onion juice looses it's effect over time, so it's best to make new solution every 2-3 days.

Last edited:

Hipsman

This improvement is similar (but not as strong) to short term improvements from my nasal treatment, but now the effect doesn't wear off!
I still have this improvement, nothing changed. I'm making this update becouse today I started treatment with immunosimulant immodin, so any future improvements, if any, will most likely be becouse of that.

Last edited:

Hipsman

@Tella It is safe if the nasal passages aren't very narrow.
One of my nostrils is pretty narrow, but with the right adjustment to the angle at witch I penetrate the nostril it's only mildly painful.

I didn't believe it myself that a cotton swab can go that far into the nostril, but after Nasopharyngeal Swab from Dr, I know that it's definitely possible and is safe :)

Last edited:

Tella

These things can introduce infection. And damage. I suggest u only do it thru an ENT but it’s up to u.

Hipsman

These things can introduce infection. And damage. I suggest u only do it thru an ENT but it’s up to u.
If done with clean swabs & hand hygiene it is safe. Don't rub very hard the nasopharynx. Follow basic precautions and it will be safe.

I use onion juice and honey (50/50 solution) witch could potentially cause infection if the solution is spoiled, but it's all good, I used that since summer for normal nasal swabs. But this won't even be a problem with "food great" Zinc and distilled water becouse it's sterile.

Hip

facing a lack of treatment alternatives i did try ZnCl2 as described by the Japanese scientists on my chronic epipharyngitis.

Very interesting that you benefited from the zinc chloride epipharyngitis (aka nasopharyngitis) treatment.

Would you say that prior to the treatment you had chronic fatigue syndrome (as defined by the IOM diagnostic criteria for ME/CFS, or the more precise Canadian consensus criteria)?

For my case the IOM 2015 Diagnostic Criteria did match better than the Canadian Consensus Criteria.

In began a common cold. But fatigue and epipharyngeal pain remained after my recovery.

Talking for a prolonged period of time (I am lecturing at our local university) as well as sleeping did increase the pain in my epipharynx. In literature chronic epipharyngitis is described as not usually causing local problems.

When the problem came back this year the common CFS symptoms began before the epipharyngeal pain. A mild epipharyngeal discomfort when waking up in the morning was the first local sign of my returning epipharyngitis.

Viruses can lead to long term alterations in the functioning of the immune system. This seems to have happened in my case. In my other thread I will present some of the literature I consider significant concerning this issue. Altered functionning of the immune system can be a trigger for CFS in some cases. I thing treating the epipharynx can be worth a try.

junkcrap50

I wonder if having had my adenoids & tonsils removed would put me at higher or lower risk or having nasopharyngitis. Or that my history of having huge inflamed adenoids & tonsils might indicate some pharyngitis that may have continued as chronic.

Hipsman

I'm still doing nasopharyngitis treatment, but with onion juice, honey and olive oil instead of ZnCl2. I find it helpful, not so long ago I skipped 1 day and felt significantly worse on the next day, but improved back up after continuing the treatment.

Also, a good way to get long cotton swabs is to connect the two with a toothpick. It's reliable and doesn't brake even when rubbing very hard. However, choose thick toothpicks, otherwise they may not secure swabs in place.
I have noticed that some brands of cotton swabs have rigid bumps for keeping cotton in place, while others use glue. I recommend the once that use glue, becouse rigid bumps get exposed on one side of swab and they damage nasal tissue. I was having some bleeding after each treatment, b/c of damaged tissues, but this never happens when using swabs that use glue as they don't have rigid surfaces.

I bought 7 different brands until I found the right once.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I'm still doing nasopharyngitis treatment, but with onion juice, honey and olive oil instead of ZnCl2. I find it helpful, not so long ago I skipped 1 day and felt significantly worse on the next day, but improved back up after continuing the treatment.

I have noticed that some brands of cotton swabs have rigid bumps for keeping cotton in place, while others use glue. I recommend the once that use glue, becouse rigid bumps get exposed on one side of swab and they damage nasal tissue. I was having some bleeding after each treatment, b/c of damaged tissues, but this never happens when using swabs that use glue as they don't have rigid surfaces.

I bought 7 different brands until I found the right once.

What's the correct swab brand?