• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Utility of lymphocyte phenotype profile to differentiate primary Sjögren syndrome from Sicca syndrome

pattismith

Utility of lymphocyte phenotype profile to differentiate primary Sjögren syndrome from Sicca syndrome

Jose Loureiro-Amigo, Carlos Palacio-García, Mónica Martínez-Gallo, Fernando Martínez-Valle, Marc Ramentol-Sintas, Roser Solans-Laqué
Rheumatology, keab170, https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/keab170
Published:

23 February 2021

Background

blood B cell profile has been proposed to have diagnostic utility in primary Sjögren syndrome (pSS), but the potential utility of advanced lymphocyte profiling to differentiate between pSS and Sicca syndrome has not been fully investigated.

Methods
distribution of peripheral lymphocyte subpopulations was analysed by flow cytometry in 68 patients with pSS, 26 patients with Sicca syndrome and 23 healthy controls. The ability to discriminate between pSS and Sicca syndrome was analysed using the area under the curve (AUC) of the receiver operating characteristic curve of the different lymphocyte subsets.

Results
the ratio between naïve/memory B cell proportions showed an AUC of 0.742 to differentiate pSS and Sicca syndrome, with a sensitivity of 76.6% and a specificity of 72% for a cut-off value of 3.4. The ratio of non-switched memory B cells to activated CD4+ T cells percentage (BNSM/CD4ACT) presented the highest AUC (0.840) with a sensitivity of 83.3% and specificity of 81.7% for a cut-off value < 4.1.

To differentiate seronegative pSS patients from Sicca patients the BNSM/CD4ACT ratio exhibited an AUC of 0.742 (sensitivity 75%, specificity 66.7%, cut-off value < 4.4), and the number of naïve CD4 T cells had an AUC of 0.821 (sensitivity 76.9%, specificity 88.9%, cut-off value < 312/mm3).

Conclusion
patients with pSS show a profound imbalance in the distribution of circulating T and B lymphocytes subsets.

The ratio BNSM/CD4ACT is useful to discriminate between pSS and Sicca syndrome.

Rufous McKinney

Personally I do not have a dry mouth....but have dry tongue, throat and sinus and probably eyes, but my eyes pour liquid most of the time, and only rarely dry out (which sucks). The pouring- they are squeezed, and aching and my tears run into my nose all day long. Except this stops in the middle of the nite.

My eyes are a mess, and I don' t know enough about this to- make any sense out of the research at all. But its not just eyes- as the eyes go straight into the brain- and thats a mess too.