• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ursodeoxycholic acid

RYO

Existing liver drug can help treat Alzheimer's (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30171839)

"How does UDCA impact mitochondria?
The authors also noticed that the drug improves mitochondrial function by "correcting" the shape of the affected mitochondria.

UDCA does this by redistributing a protein called "Dynamin-related protein 1" (Drp1). Drp1 plays a key role in supporting the healthy dynamics of mitochondria, and the scientists believe that it may ultimately protect against neurodegeneration."

From Wikipedia -
"UDCA, from Latin noun ursus meaning bear, as bear bile contains the substance, is one of the secondary bile acids, which are metabolic byproducts of intestinal bacteria."

Could UDSA have therapeutic benefits for ME/CFS patients?

Could microbiome dysbiosis in ME/CFS patients lead to lower levels intrinsic UDSA levels?

Is ME/CFS a neurodegenerative disorder triggered by mitochondrial dysfunction?

Last edited: