• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Update from Dr. Alain Moreau

Rufous McKinney

I was really interested in his remarks about metals stopping the DNA from being read....(butchered paraphrasing).

Wonder what metals he was referring to.

I found it quite interresting that rituximab happens to have interactions with a protein from a gene that stood out as hypermethylated in a mecfs twin study. Rituximab does help a small subgroup of patients and this means that it might not be because of the removal of autoantibodies.

Regarding the metals, i remember that part but wasnt able to find it rn. When i listened to it earlier i think i assumed this was just some epigenetic move made by the body instead of some type of poisoning or equivalent, not sure if thats right though.

Rufous McKinney

Regarding the metals, i remember that part but wasnt able to find it rn.

This online article discusses micro RNAs and the role of metals....so its related generally to the discussion, and I'll need to take some time trying to read through it.

Cells 2020, 9, 901; doi:10.3390/cells9040901

Toxic-Metal-Induced Alteration in miRNA Expression Profile as a Proposed Mechanism for Disease Development

The toxic effect of heavy metals such as cadmium (Cd), arsenic (As), lead (Pb), mercury (Hg), and manganese (Mn) is a matter of global concern.

Conclusions and Future Perspectives
Environmental and occupational exposure to toxic heavy metals can alter epigenetic regulatory signatures such as DNA methylation, histone modification, and microRNA (miRNA) expression patterns. miRNAs are endogenous, noncoding RNAs of approximately 25 nucleotides, which play fundamental gene-regulatory roles by binding to the 3′ UTR of protein-coding genes to mediate their post-transcriptional repression.....