• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"University of Minnesota turns Natural Killer Cells against COVID-19"

Dakota15

Just sharing this article (I'm a Minnesota patient), since Natural Killer Cells have long been associated with ME/CFS.

From the StarTribune: https://www.startribune.com/univers...42/?ref=nl&om_rid=3520749001&om_mid=979813833

Article:

"A part of the immune system that appears to be suppressed in severe COVID-19 cases is now being used in a clinical trial against the infectious disease at the University of Minnesota.

A female COVID-19 patient in her 50s received an infusion on Wednesday with an experimental therapy containing natural killer (NK) cells, innate components of the immune system that can wipe out tumors or infected cells.

“They attack sick cells, and when we say sick that typically means malignant or virally infected cells,” said Dr. Joshua Rhein, the U physician leading the trial.

The U’s work with NK cells until now has primarily been in the development of therapies for leukemia and other cancers. The COVID-19 trial is using an experimental therapy called FT516, which is manufactured by Fate Therapeutics and was developed through U research.

U researchers have spent months planning the COVID-19 clinical trial and gaining the signoff of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, said Dr. Jeffrey Miller, deputy director of the U’s Masonic Cancer Center and a national leader in NK cell research.

Given that many cases of severe COVID-19 involve inflammation and an overreaction by the immune system, there is concern about using a therapy that boosts the immune system, Rhein said. On the other hand, NK cells have antiviral properties. And research in China showed a suppression of NK cells in severe COVID-19 patients, suggesting they are not part of the immune system overreaction and could instead be a solution.

“We think that the cells are going to help as an antiviral,” Rhein said, “but there’s that possibility that somebody who is headed toward that inflammation type of picture — the worry was that we could push them over the edge.”

Researchers are seeking patients who have been hospitalized for COVID-19 and have biomarkers that suggest they are at risk for such an immune system overreaction — but haven’t suffered it yet. Infusions are happening one patient at a time to monitor the outcomes, with doses increasing in subsequent patients.

The NK study is the latest in an aggressive response by the U to the COVID-19 pandemic. U researchers launched the first double-blinded, placebo-controlled trials of hydroxychloroquine, ultimately determining that it did not prevent the onset of COVID-19 or the development of symptoms in people exposed to the virus. The U also was part of the national study of remdesivir, an antiviral that has been federally approved for treatment of hospitalized COVID-19 patients."

If anyone has any thoughts, please feel free to share.

- Dakota

Gingergrrl

If anyone has any thoughts, please feel free to share.

I just found your post and the study re: NK cell infusions for COVID is really interesting.

Given that many cases of severe COVID-19 involve inflammation and an overreaction by the immune system, there is concern about using a therapy that boosts the immune system

This is actually a concern that I have been thinking about (if I were to get COVID :nervous:). I wondered in COVID patients who already have a history of severe autoimmunity, if immune boosting treatments would actually be the wrong option b/c they would trigger the COVID cytokine storm that destroys the lungs? It seems like in those patients, immune suppressants might be better and that many patients in the hospital are having improvement with Dexamethasone (I assume to stop the COVID cytokine storm)?

Researchers are seeking patients who have been hospitalized for COVID-19 and have biomarkers that suggest they are at risk for such an immune system overreaction — but haven’t suffered it yet.

I wonder how long COVID patients are at risk of the immune system overreaction (cytokine storm) and if they will find a bio-marker to determine which COVID patients would do better with an immune boosting treatment vs. an immune suppressant treatment. I think the long-haul COVID patients (those who do not recover from COVID within six months), are going to ultimately be in two main categories (ME/CFS and Autoimmune Diseases). Although the two will overlap greatly and there will be massive confusion in the years to come for everyone.

Dakota15

I just saw this today too and thought I would share. I know cytokine storms have possibly been implicated with ME/CFS as well. @Gingergrrl just wanted to tag you since I know you mentioned cytokine storm in the above post too.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...en-clinical-trial-into-new-covid-19-treatment

"University of Minnesota first in country to open clinical trial into new COVID-19 treatment"

"The University of Minnesota has become the first institution in the United States to launch a clinical trial into a new kind of COVID-19 treatment.

The U of M announced Thursday it's treating a patient with COVID-19 and lung failure in a new trial that is aimed at halting the "intense inflammatory response of the body" in the sickest patients with COVID-19.

They will be using mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) to treat the inflammatory response. MSCs have been used to treat other inflammatory diseases and have been piloted to treat patients with COVID-19 in China and Italy.

Lab research suggests that MSCs can blunt the "cytokine storm," an intense inflammatory response in the body triggered by the virus which, if unchecked, can lead to extensive organ damage, most commonly lung failure."

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

I just saw this today too and thought I would share. I know cytokine storms have possibly been implicated with ME/CFS as well. @Gingergrrl just wanted to tag you since I know you mentioned cytokine storm in the above post too.

Thanks!

The U of M announced Thursday it's treating a patient with COVID-19 and lung failure in a new trial that is aimed at halting the "intense inflammatory response of the body" in the sickest patients with COVID-19.

They will be using mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) to treat the inflammatory response. MSCs have been used to treat other inflammatory diseases and have been piloted to treat patients with COVID-19 in China and Italy.

That is really interesting although I imagine it would be extremely difficult for the average COVID patient to get stem cells outside of a trial. But I am glad that researchers are testing different treatments to try to halt the cytokine storm that seems to destroy COVID patients lungs (and other organs) within days. Would the stem cells (if it works?) be an immuno-suppressant (in this case)? I know it seems counter-intuitive to give someone dying of a virus like COVID an immuno-suppressant but I can't see how else you would tamp down the cytokine storm and maybe it would be given with an anti-viral?