• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK launches drug trial to tackle fatigue in long covid and ME/CFS

gregh286

Slight mistake on the glycine sorry! See below. It sustains glucose release to our muscles. If I don't take it a crash is more severe. If I do take it it's cut back dramatically.

5g glycine 4 X a day so 15g a day.

But I'm also taking 2500mg beta glucans twice a day so 5g beta glucans per day.

Once you can tolerate large doses it's worth taking them to sustain the good effects.

But I've got a cold and I feel like shit and have had most symptoms flare so aminos for me would never be enough.

5g x 4 times daily? 20g glycine daily.
Wow
You get good benefit from that?

Yea my AA showed huge deficiency in glutamine...glycine.....taurine.

Never did large nac doses.

godlovesatrier

Hey,

Yes 20g a day. Got confused with my oat bran for a minute. Glycine seems to have almost no effect on me now (bad effects I mean). So seems safe.

I mean I hope everything is safe to be honest.

But in the last 6 months of taking it all. Vaccines have been the worst thing hands down. Not the large quantities of supps :)

Wishful

This 'patented drug' sounds no different from a unique selection of energy bars & drinks. Each ingredient is known to provide an energy boost for some people, and the unique selection makes it patentable (or copywritable) and thus potentially profitable. They may have searched the journals (or health articles or advertising) for "boosts energy" and based the mixture on the percentages of hits.

A unique blend of amino acids sounds unlikely to work. We all differ in our absorption rates, transfer rates and utilization rates, so there can't be a blend that's optimum for everyone.

Celandine

I'm very skeptical about focus on mitochondrial treatment as the main approach. My sense is that the mitochondrial issues are downstream issues stemming from things like chronic neuroinflammation. Fixing just the mitochondria is like putting petrol in a very damaged broken car. Not a good idea. Had no luck with my daughter with any of the mitichondrial supplements Dr. Myhill recommends. Made her feel worse. Brought on major headaches etc. And now that you guys have pointed out that this is just a bunch of amino acids I feel even less hopeful about it.

gregh286

I'm very skeptical about focus on mitochondrial treatment as the main approach. My sense is that the mitochondrial issues are downstream issues stemming from things like chronic neuroinflammation. Fixing just the mitochondria is like putting petrol in a very damaged broken car. Not a good idea. Had no luck with my daughter with any of the mitichondrial supplements Dr. Myhill recommends. Made her feel worse. Brought on major headaches etc. And now that you guys have pointed out that this is just a bunch of amino acids I feel even less hopeful about it.

Totally agree.
Our car has no ignition (spark). This just adding combustible material to a weak flicker burn
We miss the spark....its the grail.

Wishful

I'm very skeptical about focus on mitochondrial treatment as the main approach

Me too, and also that if we have mitochondrial dysfunction, it's due to something exterior to the mitochondria. I recently re-verified that potatoes and tomato products worsen my ME. Solanine is known to trigger mitochondrial apoptosis, so maybe it's similar to whatever ME is producing to harm mitochondria.

GlassCannonLife

This is a lot of EAA to take in. That is more than a scoop of the stuff and that is twice a day. Its vile stuff, one of the reasons I never stuck with it is even a protein shake can't mask the distinctive flavor. By the looks of things their formulation is very similar to an EAA mix I have so unless they work out how to make that palattable they are going to have some drop outs from that trial!

PS Yuck! Do not mix raspberry protein shake and EAA, it just makes it worse.

Haha mate I would drink literal glasses of diarrhoea if it made me better from this

BrightCandle

I did find a BCAA product with the lovely name of Mutant that contains all the Amino Acids although it alas also comes with Taurine, Glycine, L-Tyrosine and some acids (vit C, malic, citric) and electrolytes. In the sort of doses this study suggests you need 2 scoops of the stuff twice a day so its about a weeks worth (~£2 a day).

Taking this for a few days I can say I do get energy from it for most of the day. I also get sound sensitive for about 90 minutes after about 30 minutes of taking it. I don't get that obvious adrenal response from it so its not causing that but its definitely amping up something. The Blue Raspberry definitely manages to overpower the vile bitterness of the AA's. Its very blue coloured once mixed with water considering the powder is white and also will overpower the flavour of anything. Its not horrible its just not nice.

GlassCannonLife

I did find a BCAA product with the lovely name of Mutant that contains all the Amino Acids although it alas also comes with Taurine, Glycine, L-Tyrosine and some acids (vit C, malic, citric) and electrolytes. In the sort of doses this study suggests you need 2 scoops of the stuff twice a day so its about a weeks worth (~£2 a day).

Taking this for a few days I can say I do get energy from it for most of the day. I also get sound sensitive for about 90 minutes after about 30 minutes of taking it. I don't get that obvious adrenal response from it so its not causing that but its definitely amping up something. The Blue Raspberry definitely manages to overpower the vile bitterness of the AA's. Its very blue coloured once mixed with water considering the powder is white and also will overpower the flavour of anything. Its not horrible its just not nice.

By the way, I find if you add a teaspoon or so of apple cider vinegar to raw BCAA powder if makes them dissolve and taste much better. You could probably get a similar result with lemon juice or anything else acidic.

I've got BCAA powder, l-glutamine powder, and l-arginine powder actually so I can give this blend a crack - has anyone found the exact ratio they are using for the trial? I didn't look through all the documentation yet

godlovesatrier

I am actually pretty annoyed they are calling this a drug and going to charge for it. It's disgusting on so many levels. Cort thinks that the deliver mechanism will be enhanced, but truthfully (correct me if I am wrong) I don't think I've ever expereinced low bioavailability from amino acids. They either work or they don't.

Also glutamine is terrible for me, I get horrendous chest pain, anxiety and become very angry. I used to be able to take quite a lot of it in my mid twenties without incident, no side effects whatsoever and I was prob necking 2 to 4g when I wanted a boost. So I worry people are going to take it and without titration it could just make them feel like crap, or so high they can't sleep or have mental episodes and then crash.

I got quite excited when I first saw it, but there was no mention of amino acids.

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2021/11/05/axa1125-mitochondrial-enhancer-long-covid/

Treeman

I did find a BCAA product with the lovely name of Mutant that contains all the Amino Acids I

Hi. I purchased some Mutant BCAA and tried it just a couple of times but didn't notice anything startling. I'm always trying something and I will get back to it to give it a good go in due time.

I read the reviews for the product and noted one reviewer had stated it helps preventing hangovers. I don't drink a lot (I'm moderate) and if I do usually in small amounts. I just hate the hangovers. I guess this is what you may call intolerance to alcohol. However I never have any problems drinking its just the hangovers which are more severe and last longer.

I drank alcohol on Christmas day and before I went to bed I drank a portion of Mutant BCAA. When I woke in the morning I barley could feel the hang over and with the amount of alcohol I drank I should have.

Mutant BCAA certainly helped me and I will be giving it another good go without alcohol involved.