• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trying to wrangle my Foreman grill

Andrew

I've sort of given up on using one of these. It seems like everything I try goes wrong. I've tried to make hamburgers 6 times, each time I left it on too long. Finally I got the timing right, but the ground beef managed to push its way into the grooves and blocked the fat from flowing out. I got sick trying to eat it. I tried putting mixed frozen vegetables on it, and when I opened the top they stuck to it, and then fell off between the counter and stove. I went into a crash just trying to deal with this. Although the grilled vegetables did taste great.

Have any of you had luck with one of these devices? I'm just about ready to give mine away.

hangininthere

I didn't have any luck, either. Cooks unevenly. And too much work cleaning it after. I tried lining top and bottom with foil to make cleaning easier. But cooks so unevenly. It's sitting in the attic storage.

Patti

Last edited:
The secret is to add a raw egg to the ground beef and mix it together by hand. I also add a handful of dried,natural breadcrumbs, available in a box from supermarkets (UK). Then I add chopped onion, chopped peppers, salt and pepper and mix them all together by hand.

I coat the plates on the Foreman grill with olive oil or veg oil. Then I shape the hamburgers making sure they are not too thick. I think you need to stay near the grill while it is cooking.

hope this helps, hope x

Last edited:

Andrew

I solved my hamburger problem. I buy precooked frozen patties that I heat in the microwave. They taste a tad too salty, but aside from that, they give me a decent burger experience. Better than the burgers at fast food chains.

Wolfcub

I've never used a Foreman grill. My husband wanted to try one but we never did bother. He liked the idea of the fat running off his burgers as they were cooking. But he switched to ultra-lean meat (steak mince ) and so normal grilling/frying minus added oils or fats worked okay.

It sounds like you're getting the hang of that grill, @Andrew
A grilled sandwich is such a treat!

I am now fantasising about a grilled cheese, tomato and sliced onion sandwich with black pepper!

Andrew

I am now fantasizing about a grilled cheese, tomato and sliced onion sandwich with black pepper!
Now you got me curious because I have no idea what would happen to a raw onion slice that's inside a sandwich when it gets grilled. Were onions not unpleasant to slice I'd jump right on this.

Wolfcub

Now you got me curious because I have no idea what would happen to a raw onion slice that's inside a sandwich when it gets grilled. Were onions not unpleasant to slice I'd jump right on this.
Slice them very thin. Red onions would be nice! yum! Be brave (about the onion tears) because you will only need a couple of slices or so.
They are easier to slice if you stick a fork in the middle of the onion to hold it while you use the knife.

Andrew

Slice them very thin. Red onions would be nice! yum! Be brave (about the onion tears) because you will only need a couple of slices or so.
They are easier to slice if you stick a fork in the middle of the onion to hold it while you use the knife.

Do you lay whole slices into the sandwich? I'd be tempted to break it into rings and put those in.