• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Truth about Adrenal Fatigue

Paralee

@picante, yes, I think that's a lot of what is wrong with me. It messed me up physically pretty bad and the brain fog.

I'm on another forum for the floxed, some much worse off than me.

I thnk after that hearing they decided to put two black bloxes on the paper that comes with the med. It's just amazing to me how they think someone sick and trusts their doctor can sit there and read all that medicaleese and understand it. .....they don't, they take the pill and too many times it will get a person on the first one. Very sad, medical abuse, really.

And there are a lot of doctors that don't know this. When they do they're reluctant to put it on the patients charts.

Some people get floxed over and over again because they're not told they're getting it in their IV in the hospital if they're in there for something else. There are several things doctors won't put on patient's records.

picante

BTW, my acupuncturist has said that we are retraining my brain to make the signals to get these adrenal hormones going again.

You may know that cortisol can convert to cortisone and also the reverse. She commented that when you're overbalanced toward cortisone, it can make you worried. For me, I'd say that's an understatement. I get downright distressed (about the world, about my ghastly health, my lack of functioning, and not contributing to our household income because I'm too sick to work).

I found out that the licorice root serves to limit conversion from cortisol to cortisone, so I'm using it to keep cortisol levels higher (what she recommended), and since it also keeps cortisone levels lower, it calms me right down and boosts my energy when I get the two balanced.

I seem to be getting somewhere after a weekend of feeling impossibly exhausted and depressed.

Paralee

@MAF14 , I just found this trying to figure out my cortisol again. Thanks for those names, I can't take rhodiola or ashwaghanda or licorice. I'm probably sunk, but I think my cortisol (or whatever) is letting me do a few things today so I'm hunting on the net again.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
@heapsreal Great vid, thanks.

I like his honesty at the end when he say we really dont know whats going on but thetes treatments to try.

He mentioned infections a few times and i was waiting to see if a NP dr would mention abx or avs and he didnt. I think the th1 herbs arent really strong enough for many cfsers. We'd need a strong pharmaceutical drug to do that.

But i think overall he had some really good explanations though.

Tella

Is a 24h urine test good? I’ve read it’s better than saliva
Has anyone actually been helped n improved cfs when fixing the adrenals?

heapsreal

Is a 24h urine test good? I’ve read it’s better than saliva
Has anyone actually been helped n improved cfs when fixing the adrenals?

It depends on what you want from it. You will get a total cortisol level which can let you know if high or low. But it doesnt tell you if cortisol spikes at different times. So it could be low all day and spike at night, destroying sleep yet overall its low. So it can help with time treatments for increasing and lowering cortisol if you do a 4 x a time cortisol test. If money wasnt an option than id do a morning cortisol blood test, 4x time a daysaliva test and a 24hr urine cortisol test.

ljimbo423

I think you have to fix the problems in the brain before you fix AF. The brain is sending incorrect signals to release too much or not enough cortisol, or at the wrong time. Why?

I agree that the problem is coming from the brain.

Maybe it's the low grade neuro-inflammation that ME/CFS researcher Jarred Younger has found, that's causing the dysfunctional adrenal glands and possibly many other symptoms.

heapsreal

I agree that the problem is coming from the brain.

Maybe it's the low grade neuro-inflammation that ME/CFS researcher Jarred Younger has found, that's causing the dysfunctional adrenal glands and possibly many other symptoms.

Sometimes replacing the different adrenal hormones can also help inflammation. Dhea is well known for reducing tnf alpha which is high in cfs.

Its my understanding hormones like dhea and pregnenolone are not governed by a negative feedback loop, so one can add them without suppressing your natural production. Although one is probably adding them as something else maybe suppressing adrenal function.

ljimbo423

Sometimes replacing the different adrenal hormones can also help inflammation. Dhea is well known for reducing tnf alpha which is high in cfs.

Its my understanding hormones like dhea and pregnenolone are not governed by a negative feedback loop, so one can add them without suppressing your natural production. Although one is probably adding them as something else maybe suppressing adrenal function.

You make some good points. The Mito. dysfunction is most likely caused by something else too but I've had really good success with ALA, B-1, high dose BCAA's etc. Helping to improve my energy levels significantly.

So it makes sense that dhea and pregnenolone could also help the adrenals.

brenda

I have recently come upon something that might be affecting my endocrine system, and that is, tyramine sensitivity. It is in a lot of foods especially aged and fermented ones, and causes a release of adrenaline in those who are sensitive, as well as those who are taking MAOI antidepressants who must cut back on dietary tyramine.

So a few days ago I began to experiment in cutting back on these foods so I have not managed to get it as low as I want yet but I have seen some positive changes and the most important being better sleep.

It would explain why I have had so much trouble trying various diets, and having some success but not as much as I wanted.

I had very bad headaches through childhood, which is a symptom of tyramine sensitivity, but they stopped at a certain age. Perhaps my body adjusted.

drob31

I've had amazing results with pregnenelone before, but it eventually increased estrogen too high.

Also, I had a personal consultation with Dr. Walsh 2 years ago.

SWAlexander

My current favourite supplement phosphatidylserine is recommended in the article for chronically elevated cortisol and Abnormal circadian rhythm. The dosages are very high, much higher then i am using which i thought were high, plus expensive as most PS supps are only 100mg a cap which u can find for aboyt $30 for 120 caps which would last long. lucky 500mg does the job for me and can buy it relatively cheap from a bulk powder supplier.

Interesting how some of the nootropics i have been experiementing with are also mentioned.

I think this article helps explain the neurological issues causing fatigue in us as different parts of the hypothalamus are injured during cfs/me or infections/immune system keeps it dysfunctional and thus causing these adrenal fatigue issues. Explains why some of us are tired but wired or tired and sleepy.

maybe we need a hypothalamus transplant then b-cell depletion?? I dont want to be the first person to try it though.

cheers!!!

Me too: "maybe we need a hypothalamus transplant then b-cell depletion??
Explains why some of us are tired but wired or tired and sleepy."

Low cortisol (fluctuating numbers), first-time pre-diagnosed Addison'sin 1979. No pituitary tumor.
Since 2007 on Prednison 10 mg daily of and one since. Tried many other meds, no good results.

Lowest cortisol test 1,1
ACTH <5L. I could barely function.

Today I believe, that inflammation of the brain is collecting too much spinal fluid pressuring the hypothalamus and pituitary gland. That could explain the fluctuating cortisol test numbers.

What Dr. Bryan Walsh is not mentioning, because it was not known in 2012, is: If someone has two copies of a GCH1 variant associated with lower levels of tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4) and total biopterins. Otherwise - very good.

Last edited: