• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tru Niagen and D-ribose for fatigue

livinglighter

I began taking Tru Niagen yesterday. I had an immediate response.

I took two capsules with D-ribose powder in the morning. I shortly noticed substantial improvements in mental fatigue and concentration. I took another capsule with more D-ribose midday and it allowed me to leave the house and go shopping, which I was having difficulty with. My shopping trip involved a lot of walking but my legs still felt heavy, so I think this product works more for mental stamina, etc. I also had a sustained flow of energy until I felt really tired in the evening (similar to pre-illness). I noticed I also slept better (less waking and increased ability to fall back asleep). Yesterday I also noticed the reduced need to eat often throughout the day as well.

I struggle a lot with the hormonal/metabolic issues CFS/ME causes and in the past I responded very well to D-ribose. But when I suffered a severe relapse/crash earlier this year, involving what seems identical to a hypoglycemic attack, D-ribose alone stopped being as effective for me.

I'm about to do my second round today so I thought I would share it here incase it can be of benefit to anyone else.

I'm based in the UK and bought mines from Superdrug as Amazon had some dodgy reviews.
Superdrug did have a 3 for 2 offer on this product last week when I purchased it, but have now closed the offer as of today (I was just about to order some more).

livinglighter

I noticed about a 10% boost from nicotinamide riboside and 40% boost from D-ribose. So total improvement was about 50% from worst. Get it from China if you want to save a lot of money.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Thanks for the product info @gbells.

The cost of Tru Niagen is expensive, so I need cheaper alternatives, but how can I tell if supplements from China, etc. are safe? Is this vendor a recommended supplement supplier? I’d like to make a list of suppliers and pharmacies that I can buy safe drugs and supplements from.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Thanks for the product info @gbells.

The cost of Tru Niagen is expensive, so I need cheaper alternatives, but how can I tell if supplements from China, etc. are safe? Is this vendor a recommended supplement supplier? I’d like to make a list of suppliers and pharmacies that I can buy safe drugs and supplements from.

I look for suppliers with good feedback scores from at least 10 people and lab analysis sheets. I have used this one and several other supplements from them for about two months with no problems. The source of most of the retail products is China anyway. You are just paying markup for a middleman and Amazon. Seriously, doing this takes about a month longer but you save 90%. My procedure is to buy one tester bottle from Amazon and if I like the effects I'll buy the China bulk.

Just do it.

Also, a few supplements (berberine, nicotinamide riboside) have strong aftertaste so you may want to make them into capsules. You can transfer the bulk powder into 500 mg capsules (size 0) or 1000 mg caps (size 000) if you buy a cheap capsule making machine(s) and some empty capsules. Just make sure at least one of the units has the white spill guard and you can use it for the other units as they are usually the same size. Save old supplement bottles, relabel them, load with capsules and you're good to go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Holes-...886127?hash=item3fe7528b2f:g:ODwAAOSwbyVfPI2E

Last edited:

Joopiter76

Life Extension is selling NAD+Cell Regenerator. It has 100mg NAD-Ribose per Cap. 30 caps are around 30$

Ive been taking D Ribose for 2 months, not noticing a difference which interests me as to why.
Since that experiment Ive started taking MitoQ and Niagen (Nicotinamide Riboside)
Still no difference, Yet I swore NR helped me a few years back. Strange

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Ive been taking D Ribose for 2 months, not noticing a difference which interests me as to why.
Since that experiment Ive started taking MitoQ and Niagen (Nicotinamide Riboside)
Still no difference, Yet I swore NR helped me a few years back. Strange

Other energy related supplements I recall are: ubiquinol, L-carnosine and reduced glutathione. As we get older we slow down natural production so it is a good idea to supplement. However, ME works against it because of the mitochondrial fragmentation. Also, use turmeric and red pepper to reduce inflammation and improve circulation. You need good blood flow.

Hoosierfans

I began taking Tru Niagen yesterday. I had an immediate response.

I took two capsules with D-ribose powder in the morning. I shortly noticed substantial improvements in mental fatigue and concentration. I took another capsule with more D-ribose midday and it allowed me to leave the house and go shopping, which I was having difficulty with. My shopping trip involved a lot of walking but my legs still felt heavy, so I think this product works more for mental stamina, etc. I also had a sustained flow of energy until I felt really tired in the evening (similar to pre-illness). I noticed I also slept better (less waking and increased ability to fall back asleep). Yesterday I also noticed the reduced need to eat often throughout the day as well.

I struggle a lot with the hormonal/metabolic issues CFS/ME causes and in the past I responded very well to D-ribose. But when I suffered a severe relapse/crash earlier this year, involving what seems identical to a hypoglycemic attack, D-ribose alone stopped being as effective for me.

I'm about to do my second round today so I thought I would share it here incase it can be of benefit to anyone else.

I'm based in the UK and bought mines from Superdrug as Amazon had some dodgy reviews.
Superdrug did have a 3 for 2 offer on this product last week when I purchased it, but have now closed the offer as of today (I was just about to order some more).
And @gbells and @bensmith how much D-ribose do you use? I’ve been working down the list of Mito supplements and it’s on my list next to try....(gonna combine it with the NAD+ I currently take or some TruNiagen). Thanks!!!

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
And @gbells and @bensmith how much D-ribose do you use? I’ve been working down the list of Mito supplements and it’s on my list next to try....(gonna combine it with the NAD+ I currently take or some TruNiagen). Thanks!!!

Actually I stopped using D-ribose because it inhibits apoptosis and has other negative effects. The energy gain wasn't worth it during immunotherapy.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
That makes sense. Thanks for responding. 🙌🏻

My goal is to complete immunotherapy as soon as possible. This lowers supplement costs. D-ribose does have a short half life (4 hrs) so it could be used during the rest period but I'd rather just rest more and rush through it.

The more I progress the shorter my recovery periods are anyway as there are fewer infected cells to clear.

Actually I am very thankful for the ME fatigue because this is the body trying to slow the spread of the disease. I've had ME for 12 years. Had the body not been able to do this it could be so dispersed that there wouldn't be enough cells to recover.

Currently my throat and arms are apoptosing. These were the first areas to fasciculate when I got ME so they seem to be the last to go. I estimate I'm about 80% clear at around seven months of treatment. Lupus signs have mildly increased (pericarditis induction, facial rash) which also supports (fewer infected cells so more antibodies). With negative feedback the body should eventually come around to lowering the antibodies which should eliminate the lupus. This is what happens with drug induced lupus.

Last edited:
I didn't notice anything from any of the Nicotinamide supplements I tried. I even ordered them in the middle of winter and stored them in the refrigerator to avoid any possible heat degradation.

D-Ribose has been helpful, though. I prefer to put it in a glass of water and sip it over several hours to extend the effects.