• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treatment of inflammations: You might try incense!

JohnnyMinnesota99

Hello everybody,

I have received a lot of helpful ideas and tips in the past few days, and now I would like to give advice, too. For those having problems with inflammations - I guess almost all of us have an issue - I'd like to give a piece of advice:

Incense has worked pretty well for me! I was struck with a bad disease that finally resulted in CFS three years ago. As if that were not enough, I caught a bad bronchitis and had problems recovering last year. A respiratory physician prescribed me a cortisone spray that worked excellently, but when I stopped using it according to plan, my problems started again. From that point in time I was having problems with a mild form a asthma. Since I didn't want to take cortisone for a longer time, I tried incense at a high dose. Lo and behold, my problems disappeared!! I didn't have any bronchial problems any more, even after speaking aloud for a longer time! Great stuff, this is, I thought...

There was one problem on my part, though. I had read in an academic article that highly dosed incense allows people to forgo cortisone! A gastroenterologist recommends 40 mg of boswellic acid (the active agent of incense) per kg body weight to fight high-level inflammations in the gut (German source): https://magendarm-zentrum.de/images/dokumente/formulare/sonstiges/therapie-mit-weihrauch.pdf
Well, I took the same dosis and didn't have any bronchial problems, nor inflammations in my gut (that is also a problem which is why I take mesalazine).

There was a drop of bitterness, though: The highly dosed incense weakened my general immune system so that I contracted three infections (common cold) in only 2 1/2 months. Moreover, recovering from them took longer than usually. For this reason I decided to go without incense or at least reduce the dose. Later on, I found an academic article by an respiratory physician, who recommends 3 x 300 mg boswellic acid a day (aroound a third of what the gastroenterologist points out). Well, I'm considering taking incense at the said dose, but for now my respiratory system is quite okay, and yet it's a good option for the future.

For those interested in using incense in order to fight inflammations, it is definitely worth a try, but be careful when you take a high dose since this can result in a weakened immune system. It makes perfect sense to me, though: Incense - with its active agent boswellic acid - fights inflammations very well. Inflammations, however, can be a useful tool for fighting a virus or bacteria. That is why inflammations are quite useful, but it's pretty bad if one can't get rid of them after the virus or bacteria have been removed.

Best wishes and all the best to you!

Last edited:

NotThisGuy

Interesting. AKBA (acetyl-keto-beta-boswellic acid, one compound of boswellic acid) is supposed to reduce MMP-3. The enzyme that degrades collagen and which everyone is talking about now because of CCI...
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128021477000139

but another presentation of different studies in german point out that AKBA barely makes it into blood and that the anti-inflammatory effect from taking boswellic acid are likely contributed to beta-boswellic acid and not AKBA...
so maybe the AKBA is indeed not doing that much in vivo?

https://www.uni-muenster.de/imperia...tsgruppen/agverspohl/werz_weihrauch091110.pdf