• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treatment for Rhodotorula

Peyt

Hi,
I have recently done the Doctor's Data Test and it showed I have Rhodotorula (+1)
My Doctor has prescribed Nystatin which I am taking (this is my 4th week). I am
also on a anti-yeast diet for a month.
Is there any articles written or studies that show successful treatment of Rhodotorula?
Are there any additional course of treatment besides Nystatin?
Thanks so much.
Peyt

alicec

Is there any articles written or studies that show successful treatment of Rhodotorula?

Here is a recent review.

Please note Rhodotorula is a common environmental inhabitant (including in the human gut) which on rare occasions becomes an opportunistic pathogen. Problems arise in immunocompromised patients, most commonly cancer patients. The single most common factor in cases of infection is the presence of a central venous catheter.

Why does your doctor think you need treating? What are your symptoms?

The antibiotic of choice used in these studies was amphotericin B. Of interest though is that some patients at least didn't require any treatment at all. Removal of the catheter was sufficient.

Here is a study which looked at the susceptibility of the fungus to various antimicrobials. Nystatin was one found to be effective.

Last edited:

Peyt

Here is a recent review.

Please note Rhodotorula is a common environmental inhabitant (including in the human gut) which on rare occasions becomes an opportunistic pathogen. Problems arise in immunocompromised patients, most commonly cancer patients. The single most common factor in cases of infection is the presence of a central venous catheter.

Why does your doctor think you need treating? What are your symptoms?

The antibiotic of choice used in these studies was amphotericin B. Of interest though is that some patients at least didn't require any treatment at all. Removal of the catheter was sufficient.

Here is a study which looked at the susceptibility of the fungus to various antimicrobials. Nystatin was one found to be effective.

Hi Alicec,
Thanks for your reply.
I have several symptoms such as:
Bloating and Gas
Brain Fog
Headaches at least twice a week
heavy feeling in the body, especially feet
Tight and painful shoulder and neck
agitation and anxiety
Skin rash (although much less now ever since I started the anti-yeast diet)
Get sick easily especially sinus infections

This Doctor has already treated me for SIBO with Antibiotics which thankfully my body responded well and after re-testing showed the SIBO was gone.. But since I still have problems we did the Dr. Data test which showed Rhodotorula.

The interesting thing is the headaches go away when I use blood dilating supplements such as Arginine so some
Chinese Herbs that improve blood circulation.
I also did the HB IAC to see if I am pre-diabetic (since the headaches and heavy feet feelings could mean there is not enough blood reaching to the body's extremities) but I was not pre-diabetic.. Although I took the test 1 month after starting the Anti-yeast diet which is basically Paleo plus no dairy or sweets which could have helped improve the results... But my Doctor does not think the headaches are the result of Diabetic issues.

alicec

But since I still have problems we did the Dr. Data test which showed Rhodotorula.

Have any of the symptoms responded to the month of Nystatin? How long does your doctor want you to take the drug? I would have thought 1 month was more than enough time to have an effect.

Peyt

Have any of the symptoms responded to the month of Nystatin? How long does your doctor want you to take the drug? I would have thought 1 month was more than enough time to have an effect.
I don't think so,
Everywhere I read it says 4 months of Nystatin. Luckily I have not had any severe adverse side effects, but I am not even up to the therapeutic dose yet. The therapeutic dose for me is 4 to 6 pills a day and My Doctor started me out at 1 pill a day and every week add 1 more (so we are doing it slowly).. So next week I will start the 4 pills which is suppose to be my therapeutic dose according to the level of infection showing on my test.

I am actually experiencing a little more bloating and my body feels achy. but as the bacteria dies there is a die-off reaction which is to be expected.

Hey Peyt, I am new to Pheonix Rising and I found this website from this thread. I recently had a stool test done and was also positive for Rhodotorula (+1). I have exact symptoms as you did and they have been getting worse since I first noticed them 6 months ago. My doctor has put me on a strong probiotic, a GI revival powder, and grapefruit seed extract. I noticed a night and day difference the first 2-3 days after taking these things, but stomach pains then got significantly worse after that (perhaps from die-off?).

I was curious to know if you have seen improvement from taking Nystatin? I am going back to school in Missouri here in August and would love to gain any insight to getting my GI tract healthy again.

Thanks!!!

Peyt

Hey Peyt, I am new to Pheonix Rising and I found this website from this thread. I recently had a stool test done and was also positive for Rhodotorula (+1). I have exact symptoms as you did and they have been getting worse since I first noticed them 6 months ago. My doctor has put me on a strong probiotic, a GI revival powder, and grapefruit seed extract. I noticed a night and day difference the first 2-3 days after taking these things, but stomach pains then got significantly worse after that (perhaps from die-off?).

I was curious to know if you have seen improvement from taking Nystatin? I am going back to school in Missouri here in August and would love to gain any insight to getting my GI tract healthy again.

Thanks!!!
I saw no improvement with Nystatin. I am managing my issues with diet and avoiding certain foods that I know cause bloating and gas and digestion issues. But as soon as I eat something that irritates me the symptoms are back so I know the problem still persists. I also tried the natural stuff and it didn't help. Diet is the only effective thing I found.