• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tolerable alternatives to soap

Malea

Due to severe MCS and MCAS I had to give up on shampoo, toothpaste, and soap in the past months. I tried the ecological brands, too but it didn’t work out. But... only water doesn’t seem to be a practicable long term solution.

From those with similar severe issues... did you find alternatives that work, especially regarding soap?

Last edited:

IThinkImTurningJapanese

From those with similar severe issues... did you find alternatives that work, especially regarding soap?

I think I was using Ivory Free when I was in the US, but a quick search suggests that things may have changed. Dr. Bronners is good for MCS, but harsh on skin. I still like it though. :_

I quit using commercial toothpaste and brush with baking soda and sea salt. My gums love me for it. :thumbsup:

brenda

I make my own soap with boiled soap nuts in distilled water though you can buy them already done I believe. I put the liquid in a soap dispenser and add a few oils. This is for my hands and smelly bits. I use bicarb with vinegar rinse for hair and water for the rest generally.

Baking soda is a good alternative for toothpaste. Have you looked at trying Phisoderm? My son was allergic to all baby washes but not Phisoderm. Not the Phisoderm baby because that has a fragrance added but the regular Phisoderm is fragrance free.

Lisa108

I heard that pure Rhassoul (sometimes spelled Ghassoul) powder was used by some pwMCS.
It is a mineral clay. You'd mix it with water, the amount of water according to intended use. (Less water for a face mask, more water for washing body and/or hair).

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Dr. Bronners is good for MCS, but harsh on skin. I still like it though.

The Baby Unscented has double the olive oil so is gentler on skin. I use it in a foaming soap dispenser: 1 part Dr. Bronners to 5 parts water. The foam makes it easier to use much less while still getting enough for clean hands, and is very economical.

Malea

Thanks a lot everybody! I will try a few new things and hope for the best!

Does anybody also has a suggestion for a natural replacement for cream? I was trying out oil but it didn’t work well.

Lisa108

I was trying out oil but it didn’t work well.
Did you try different sorts of oils? There are some that are termed "dry" oils in German, like Jojoba or Argan oil. They contain a high amount of unsaturated fatty acids. They are said to be better absorbable than the "non-dry" oils like avocaco or macademia oil.

And it works better when applying on wet skin.

Still I understand if using oil is not the right thing for your skin (it wasn't for mine).

"Basic creme" which is used for diy cosmetic products maybe? Or asking in a pharmacy if they could make a cream for you (using water, oil, and emulsifier only)?

junkcrap50

Does anybody also has a suggestion for a natural replacement for cream? I was trying out oil but it didn’t work well.
Moisturizing cream aka moisturizer? Try jojoba oil. Its absorbed very well and not "oily" at all. I hate lotions and anything on my skin, and I can tolerate it. There are a lot of oils out there and they're all different. I also use organic aloe vera gel (with minimal ingredients) as a moisturizer too. It has absolutely zero residue or any trace of anything applied to your skin, but very hydrating. I also use aloe vera gel as hair gel.

For shampoo, I've had success with the "No Poo Shampoo Method," which is baking soda + water for shampoo and apple cider vinegar + water for conditioner.

For soap, have you tried pure lye soap? That's as basic as it gets. Lye, lard, and water. I've tried this brand and liked it. I'm sure there are others out there. https://www.grandmaslyesoap.com/products/grandmas-lye-soap They make other products so maybe they'd be good to try too.

Due to severe MCS and MCAS I had to give up on shampoo, toothpaste, and soap in the past months. I tried the ecological brands, too but it didn’t work out. But... only water doesn’t seem to be a practicable long term solution.

I am using a handcrafted soap from soap for goodness sake the ingredients of which are: saponified extra virgin olive oil and distilled water. That's it. Super gentle. They also have a similar coconut oil soap formulation.

roller

wiggle jiggle
i like sulfur soaps, for body and hair. no conditioner. but i dont shower often.

for skin, i use vaseline pure petroleum jelly.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

Malea

Did you try different sorts of oils? There are some that are termed "dry" oils in German, like Jojoba or Argan oil. They contain a high amount of unsaturated fatty acids. They are said to be better absorbable than the "non-dry" oils like avocaco or macademia oil.

And it works better when applying on wet skin.

That is such a good information, thanks! Mine was a „non-dry“ oil so it makes sense to try one of the others.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

The Baby Unscented has double the olive oil so is gentler on skin. I use it in a foaming soap dispenser: 1 part Dr. Bronners to 5 parts water. The foam makes it easier to use much less while still getting enough for clean hands, and is very economical.

I've got to try this, that's entirely too smart of an idea to pass up! :D

IMG_0999.JPG

fredam7

The allergist I see says to use olive oil or coconut oil, neither worked for me.

Jason vanilla peppermint minus fluoride seems ok for toothpaste but hard to tell with an itchy mouth from so-called allergies and small fiber issues

Soap is tough. Careful with these natural products , a lot of harsh essential oils , they caused me the most grief .

I tried a goat's milk hand made soap and 4 days later in the ER and had to go on steroids . I think things like oats are not our friend although it's promoted as soothing and wonderful . I then found another handmade soap with nothing and it seems ok

I rinse my face with distilled water . The chlorine in the water might be setting off your MCAS too .

I'm going to throw in the towel and take the xolair , the near constant hives etc I'm sick of tired of

I know it's really uncomfortable, every product is a problem . Weird how I could use anything all my life then I'm suddenly reactive to everything, makes no sense

MTpockets

I have good luck with Everyone Soap. I also use Alafia unscented shea butter for lotion. I agree with fredam7. The chlorine might be an issue. Maybe try a filter for your bathroom faucet. Good luck! I hope you find some relief.