• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

tiny amounts of alcohol cause pain.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I have always been slightly intolerant of alcohol, but since having M.E i have had to give it up completely. when i did used to have a drink i would get pains in my legs for a while. It just seemed to me that maybe i wasn't meant to drink it.
Nowi take a herbal tincture 3xday which is held in some kind of alcohol. I only take 5 mls, but this causes the leg pain and slightly drunk feeling.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what this is an/or what causes it. I dont need to drink alcohol, but wonder if it points to something else that is not working properly, or wether it holds some clue to what i need to do for my recovery.
I have had very severe candida and am dealing with that at the moment.

dannybex

Just my two cents Justy, but I think it could be due to several reasons, one of the biggies, is the candida/fungal issue you mention, especially if it's severe. Candida creates it's own alcohol as it ferments in the gut. So perhaps adding just a little more is too overwhelming to your system -- plus it may be feeding the infection. Here's a link to more info:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Candida-and-Alcohol---Why-Alcohol-is-Bad-For-Candida-Infections&id=2342923

Other possibilities could be the alcohol is depleting glutathione in your liver -- and it may be suppressing immune function -- but all in all I think it has more to do with your candida infection.

Perhaps you could get the tincture in a glycerol or saline solution?

Dan

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Thanks danny - i do have a low red cell glutathione level. Dont know why i didnt think of asking about changing the solution before! yes i agree about the candida. If i eat any sugar i get a terrible hangover the next day, although this is improving.