• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

thyroid physiology, i think it gets missed alot??

alex3619

Hi heapsreal, thanks for this link. The gut connection I was not aware of. In a nutshell for those who have not seen the link yet, the liver conversion of T4 to T3 often results in other forms of T3 that are biologically inactive, but these can be converted in the gut by bacteria to active T3. In gut dysbiosis this does not happen so well, and so T4 to T3 conversion is compromised in dysbiosis.

He under-emphasizes thyroid resistance at the cellular level. In my opinion, this is not a fact, many of us have major issues with thyroid resistance. However the research which points to this is really only on white blood cells that I have seen, not shown for most cells as yet.

Bye
Alex

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Alex i have posted a couple other links in other threads from this doc which are interesting relating to blood tests and adrenal fatigue stuff, alot of this is just not common amongst normal doctors, its just that they dont do appropriate tests to find these abnormalities.

cheers!!!

Enid

Connections very interesting personally heapsreal - it was delayed diagnosis of hypothyroidism from which everything else was set in motion in my own case. (At least my brother said and he's a Doc).

maddietod

Thanks, Heaps. Now I understand why armor thyroid could have not worked, but I could have thyroid issues. I watched the pregnenolone one too, but Dr. Walsh emphasizes the importance of fixing adrenal and blood sugar issues before working with hormones. So........it's a process!

heapsreal

Thanks, Heaps. Now I understand why armor thyroid could have not worked, but I could have thyroid issues. I watched the pregnenolone one too, but Dr. Walsh emphasizes the importance of fixing adrenal and blood sugar issues before working with hormones. So........it's a process!
Its interesting madie, to fix adrenals a good doc will lok at pregnenolone, dhea and progesterone and get these to optimal levels and this itself can help blood sugar issues but mainly thats diet related which many say is a low carb or reduced carb diet. It takes time to work out which diet you feel comfortable with ie how much carbs and protein, some feel good just making sure they eat a good portion of protein with every meal and from there slowly back off on carbs?? but its trial and error. Sometimes when all these issues are sorted thyroid can be self corrected, if not then they look at t3/4 supps.

cheers!!!

Parismountain

Can anyone take a stab at why when I recently switched from a low dose of synthroid to Armour, I felt immediately much worse on the Armour? The doc worked the conversion correctly but I felt the first pill felt funny. I lasted six days of feeling really like I was croaking and then on my own switched back to synthroid and after about five days I'm no longer feeling like I won't wake up in the morning. This experiment was my fault, I asked to go on the natural versus the synthetic and messed myself up so it wasn't really the docs fault.

I do get to see an endocrinologist on 10/31 so I'm looking forward to that. My primary care doc (not my cfs doc) set up the appointment for me. That doc was not liking the thickening of my blood, bad hemoglobin numbers and hematocrit and we were thinking of letting blood every month but decided to have the endocrinologist take a look. Also my heart is good but cholesterol high and createnin levels worrisome.

thanks if you have any ideas

heapsreal

Can anyone take a stab at why when I recently switched from a low dose of synthroid to Armour, I felt immediately much worse on the Armour? The doc worked the conversion correctly but I felt the first pill felt funny. I lasted six days of feeling really like I was croaking and then on my own switched back to synthroid and after about five days I'm no longer feeling like I won't wake up in the morning. This experiment was my fault, I asked to go on the natural versus the synthetic and messed myself up so it wasn't really the docs fault.

I do get to see an endocrinologist on 10/31 so I'm looking forward to that. My primary care doc (not my cfs doc) set up the appointment for me. That doc was not liking the thickening of my blood, bad hemoglobin numbers and hematocrit and we were thinking of letting blood every month but decided to have the endocrinologist take a look. Also my heart is good but cholesterol high and createnin levels worrisome.

thanks if you have any ideas
Armour has active thyroid t3 in it so its abit more powerful, if people test low on thyroid and feel worse treating it, this can be because of adrenal fatigue and u have low levels of cortisol and your thyroid treatment has just increased your metabolism and used up what cortisol u have too quickly. pregnenolone can help boost adrenal hormones but start low and go slow like 5 mg and use transdermal creams. Some docs may use hydrocortisone but this doesnt help the rest of the adrenal hormones but might be good to start off on. After using pregnenolone then test all hormones again as it filters down to all other hormones and directly supplement with those that are still low eg dhea etc So once u get pregnenolone and cortisol levels working you, you may not even need thyroid but if u do the armour thyroid should?? work better for you.
Even doctors are 100% as everyone is different and we are all a work in progress.

cheers!!!