• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thyroid antibodies dropped significantly

brenda

@digital dog

My antibodies halved when l quit gluten but it took some time before l felt better, six months l think but consider whether you are still ingesting gluten. Some are sensitive to shampoos that contain it and licking the back of stamps etc. I was eating supermarket cooked chicken portions till l found out they had gluten on them.

"Why do l still have thyroid symptoms" by Datis Kharrazian DHSc, DC, MS, MNeuroSci, FAACP, DACBN, DABCN, DIBAK, CNS is an excellent book l think for help in understanding autoimmune thyroid disease. No doctor in the UK has a reputation for that and understands the importance of diet. Numerous studies from various countries show the connection between gluten intolerance and Hashimotos. Details in the book.

You may need to also quit dairy after doing your own research on it or go the whole hog like me and go on a paleo autoimmune diet like the one Dr Terry Wahl's MD recommends and l can report improvements all of the time after three weeks of this, and that is just the start whereby l am still not getting it 100% correct.

I am seeing improvements especially regarding my pre diabetic symptoms and losing weight without trying. The big issue is intestinal permeability and quitting all grains is where most research is headed. Dr Wahl's is conducting her own trials at the moment.

Last edited:

Athene*

I've just seen this thread. This article links to several studies about the gluten/thyroid connection
https://chriskresser.com/the-gluten-thyroid-connection/

I have no idea what Kresser's credentials are and have not read the linked articles in full - just glanced at them. The Kresser article makes an interesting claim:

'The molecular structure of gliadin, the protein portion of gluten, closely resembles that of the thyroid gland. When gliadin breaches the protective barrier of the gut, and enters the bloodstream, the immune system tags it for destruction. These antibodies to gliadin also cause the body to attack thyroid tissue. This means if you have AITD (autoimmune thyroid disease) and you eat foods containing gluten, your immune system will attack your thyroid.'

Last edited: