• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

thyroid and prolactin ,male

hi everyone can some just please help me, i am feeling down at the moment,

for over a year ever since i had major weight gain i have had hormonal issues. i did a test last year in uk where my tsh was 3,3 and my prolactin was on the border of the range , but it was really high and my testosterone was border line low, i have hair thinning, constipation and low libido,

can some please tell me if i lower my prolactin will that sort out my thyroid or do i have to correct thyroid to correct prolactin, and if i am put on thyroid meds for hypo. do i have to take them for the rest of my life thanks

Plum

Hi

Sorry yr having a hard time with all of this. I can't comment much on yr particular issue but I can make a few suggestions:
Thinning hair is often a result of low thyroid function.
It can also be due to not enough protein in your diet.
Low testosterone can be due to your age. Hormones start to decline after age 35.
Prolactin - I do not know how to lower it without medication and you wouldn't get a prescription for the levels you describe. However I have learnt recently that raised prolactin can be due to stress.
Stress can also cause your hormone levels to decrease.

You need to do some research on the HPA axis and start to understand why your body is behaving the way it is. Everything is connected and treating one part of your endocrine system without fully understanding why is not working properly is not always positive.

If you are in the UK and looking for a good endocrinologist - good luck. I have struggled for the past 10 years to find someone decent. So if you do pls pass their details on to me!

Good luck with everything.