• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

those who are on Xyrem would love your advice

humanrising

I am so sleep deprived its making me a little nuts. I have had insomnia forever and have done it all. Everything but Xyrem. I am now falling asleep during the day like a truck hits me and knocks me down but even that sleep is not long and iam not fully under. I haven't slept more then 2 hours at a time in several years.
my pain is worse, my brain is toast and I honestly feel that I won't be here much longer if I don't sleep. afraid my heart is just going to give up.
I ve been in contact with the very nice helpful people at Xyrem . They have give me names of doctors who prescribe near me but they are far and few between and interestingly enough, when I look them up the majority have the worst reviews and health grades I ve ever seen. I already feel abused my doctors and am losing the strength to deal with a series of more terrible doc's.
wondering if anyone who is on it saw someone in California they could recommend . I would also like to share what there experience was getting this prescribed. REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR THOUGHTS AND ADVICE!!! thank you and blessings!

I think GHB has an bad reputation which doesn't seem to be deserved. I would like to see more knowledgeable people chime in, but every study I find is very positive. Unlike with say Ambien or Benzos you are actually asleep with GHB-induced sleep. As in you get REM-sleep and you feel rested the next day.

I think the problem comes not from the effect (it's great), but rather from the potential of abuse. I can definitively be addictive to some people and it got a lot of bad press for being used in some rape cases in the 90's. Having something nick named the "date-rape" drug will make doctors stop prescribing it real quick no matter how good it is.

humanrising

thank you for the telling me about the post
I will be seeing a sleep doc the end of next month who is one of the few who can prescribe.... one of those i mentioned with terrible reviews....but I gotta try!
I am thinking that I might print some of the articles from the recommended post that might help convince him that I need it not only for my sleep issues but for my fibro pain.
You are absolutely right about this med having such a bad rep. I hate how these things play out. One use to be able to buy it at health food stores believe it or not. Now because of creepy terrible humans misusing it a medication that costs nothing to make.... literally " cents" a dose is one of the most expensive meds and almost impossible to get prescribed. A single 180 ml bottle is 4829.00 dollars. This med has real potential to help people with pain as well as sleep issues ( related of course) but few will ever get the chance. Praying I get the chance and that it will help me finally sleep more then 20 minutes at a time. I am really starting to worry that I am going to just drop dead from a stroke or heart attack from not sleeping.