• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thinking of getting a dog or a cat. Your experience?

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
How wonderful! She looks beautiful! Does she have a name?

I think a cat is a good choice for someone with fatigue. When you're really tired they can take care of themselves and they don't necessarily need daily walks like dogs do. And cats often enjoy curling up and snuggling while you lie down (although this little lady might be a little active for that!).

I look forward to hearing about your adventures together!

wonderoushope

@RebeccaRe - Her name is Hella after the character in Thor.

She's so sweet when she is tired. She sleeps with me and I pat her stomach and she rolls into a ball. She likes her tummy and paws being held.
hell7.jpg

hell5.jpg

prioris

images

Suggestion for a pet. Get a Dogman as a pet. They are very intelligent and can be bipedal. Height can go from 7-13 feet. Very fast and quick. They easily can go at least 80+ mph. Powerful swimmers. Geographically they are seen all over the world ... all over the continental US ... north, central and south america, new zealand, australia, UK, Europe, Asia, Africa. Hallmark feature is it's hind legs being like a dogs with german shephard face. Doesn't he look sweet.

If anyone has a Dogman they don't want, just let me know. Dogman would be such a good companion to have.

Last edited:
My two cents worth.... My parents have a dog (Axel, the puppy in my avatar!) and he is without a doubt the greatest joy in my life.

However I look after him twice a week and it is enough - he is nearly 2 now but just as exhausting, and it really upsets me that I can't do more for him, walk him more than just round the block etc

My CFS isn't too bad ( I can still shop, get about and work very part time), but there are too many crash days and I could never look after a dog single handedly.

Unless your housemate promises to help out - and in all weather's lol - I would say definitely don't get a dog. Particularly a puppy, they are 24/7 and if they're not raised with 100% of your time, effort and attention you get lifelong problems (I've raised 3 and taken the consequences!)

Cats are lovely and can be just as affectionate 😊 it would break your heart to have to give up a dog if you found you couldn't cope.

wonderoushope

Thanks @Cozi for feedback.

Based on my kitten who to be honest acts like a puppy in a lot of ways, I think I eventually could handle a dog. I just probably would get an older dog with a quiet temperament.

My kitten Hella is go, go, go and wants to play constantly. She also rips apart and pushes over vases and plants. But I actually find she helps me quite a bit with reducing anxiety and I think I sleep better since I got her. She's very smootchie once she settles down. Loves lying on my chest and falling asleep. Sits on my housemates head and wants lots of kisses and head butts. She's a real character. So confident, nothing phases her and she happily goes up to people to give them kisses and headbutts - lol!

So glad I got her. I love her to bits.

valentinelynx

My kitten Hella is go, go, go and wants to play constantly. She also rips apart and pushes over vases and plants.

Ah hah! I see you have a normal kitten! I'm so glad you got yourself a feline companion. Whenever I see that someone who's never had a cat isn't sure if they want one, I have this answer: you don't know what it's like to have a cat of your own (some would say the cat has you...) until you have one. Other people's cats are usually a bit standoffish about other humans. Not always, there are exceptions. Take my kitties: after 5 years they are beginning to be friendly to visitors instead of hiding. But with us they are the warmest, most loving creatures you can imagine.

Kittens are incredible bundles of energy. She will calm down with time. As for smashing things... she may not get over that, but you can help by making sure she has lots of cat-safe things to play with. One of the best is a laser pointer. If you've never seen a cat chase that red or green dot of light, you are in for a treat! You can sit or lie there like a lump, pointer in hand, and have your kitty exhaust herself with the chase. Have fun! :woot:

wonderoushope

@valentinelynx - Oh I've had cats before. Just this is the first one I have officially owned completely by myself. I am totally responsible for her. Hella is the type of cat that doesn't hide when visitors arrive. She's the first at the window to stare out and greet them and say "hello".

I think she will get over smashing things, she knows what "no" means. Oh I have every toy under the sun - lol! She is one spoilt kitten. Laser pointer, every toy on a stick, 2 x cat tunnels and her favourite is this thing where it looks like a mouse tail is running around what looks like a bed sheet. She loves the cat tunnel also, when I put my hands underneath it and she pounces on it. I play with her every day in intervals. She knows I am the playing person because of she "meows" and looks at me whilst directing me to the cat tunnel. She has me wrapped around her fingers. I don't mind. I won't have children, so she is my child :)

Wolfcub

Any type of dog with "working dog" genes wouldn't make a good fit for anyone who crashes. Gosh....I love that kind of dog!
But....oddly enough many Greyhounds are not as physically demanding as one might think. If they get the normal little "walkies" (poop/pee/sniff about walkies) and one pretty good run off-leash (maybe 30 minutes) per day they are happy apparently.

That of course depends on how old they are...their individual temperament...and if they have good recall skills or not.

Most animal/Greyhound rescues would already have got to know each individual dog and their needs.
Plus they don't all come in huge size. Some can be not much more than 40lb dogs.

(Just then I got weird deja-vu. Have I already posted this before?? I have no idea. :xeyes::xeyes::_)

valentinelynx

@valentinelynx - Oh I've had cats before. Just this is the first one I have officially owned completely by myself. I am totally responsible for her. Hella is the type of cat that doesn't hide when visitors arrive. She's the first at the window to stare out and greet them and say "hello".

I think she will get over smashing things, she knows what "no" means. Oh I have every toy under the sun - lol! She is one spoilt kitten. Laser pointer, every toy on a stick, 2 x cat tunnels and her favourite is this thing where it looks like a mouse tail is running around what looks like a bed sheet. She loves the cat tunnel also, when I put my hands underneath it and she pounces on it. I play with her every day in intervals. She knows I am the playing person because of she "meows" and looks at me whilst directing me to the cat tunnel. She has me wrapped around her fingers. I don't mind. I won't have children, so she is my child :)

You are an amazing cat-mom! Awesome!

Juanita Vee

I'm a dog fan and have tried having a dog twice and a bunny once. I couldn't handle the work. Then my sister convinced me to let her boyfriend's 18-year-old farm cat "retire" at my apartment. I didn't expect to fall in love like I did! She is healthy, sleeps most of the time, doesn't jump on anything higher than the couch, and still plays for very short periods and is so cute!! I would recommend to someone reading this thread, thinking about getting a pet, to consider an older cat! Maybe not 18 years old, she's ancient, but it's less work than a kitten for sure! She and I have about the same amount of energy, too! XD I love her!

I adore my dog, she's made my life better in a thousand ways every day since I got her and I wouldn't trade her for the world!

Having said that, there's no way in hell I'd be able to have her if I didn't live with someone who was able, willing, and happy to walk her three times a day - sometimes more - even when it's raining or snowing, drive her to vet appointments, sort out pet daycare for her when needed, take her to training classes, pick up her heavy bags of food from the shops, get up to let her out first thing in the morning, and just generally do the things that I am unable to do. There are so many hidden aspects to owning a dog that take up a huge amount of energy and even after literal years of research and planning I still underestimated how much work she would be.

I think adopting an older dog if you can is absolutely a great idea for lots of reasons, not least offering a dog a second chance at a happy life, you also have a much better idea going in of the energy requirements of the specific dog and their personality - if they're happy to chill out on the couch for most of the day or want to be occupied elsewhere even when not on walks etc.

Greyhounds are wonderful dogs and so many of them need homes but be aware that even the smaller framed ones are very strong, I know someone who was pulled off her feet when her dog took off after a squirrel and broke her collarbone. Something to consider if you are not always steady on your feet (which I know I personally am not).

A lot of people suggest small 'lap' or toy dog breeds to people who have limited ability to do long walks but don't be fooled, small dogs can be some of the highest energy breeds! Make sure to do your research and, if rescuing, ask lots of questions to get a good idea of the specific dog you're interested in. Small dogs are great because they're easier to travel with, lift up or down and carry, they eat less, do smaller poops, can fit on your lap or beside you on the bed/couch, but they're still a lot of work. They can also be more prone to loud or frequent barking which can be an issue if you have sound sensitivities.

I have a one-year-old miniature poodle. I wanted a low-allergy, low-shedding, small-to-medium sized companion dog and I definitely got those things, but even after all my research, looking carefully for responsible breeders of healthy good-tempered dogs, discussing my needs with her breeder and visiting the puppies several times to find a good match, she's still turned out to be a loud alarm-barker, has very high energy, and demands all of my attention. People are often surprised when they meet her thinking that poodles, and especially the miniature size, are quiet, calm, and dignified. Not my girl! :D But then again, I wouldn't have her any other way.

Hi, a pet is a great idea. I got one puppy when i was almost about to crack psycologically in a million pieces. I have a 1.5 years old Maltese now and I can tell u it is a kind of breed that fits us well, as patients. They are calm, dont leave hair on bed and if trained a bit they can be your best companion in life. I prefer my dog to people I must admit. He only makes me happy and brings laughter to my life. Once I was very sick with gastrenteritis, he stayed attached to me for 36 hours without eating or drinking. When he saw me recovering he started eating again. So moving. However they need to take fresh air, 20 min per day plus a big walk per week. I would not deprive them from this right. My grandma has his bro and never takes him out, so the dog has evolved to a quite agressive creature. Plus, they need coiffeur, washing, vet, capsules blah blah and the cost is high. We did not expect it so high. If u cant take him out, I would advise a cat. Although I have zero experience on cats. I just know they need less care and company. Maltese need company ALL the time.