• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"The Secrets of COVID `Brain Fog' are Starting to LIft" WIRED Jul 1, 2022

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I found this paper which says blackcurrant anthocyanins suppress CCL11 secretion. For those in the UK, perhaps drinking lots of the blackcurrant drink Ribena might be beneficial.
What? :wide-eyed:

I have three bottles of Ribena, its available in most grocery stores around here (Canada).
I save it for special occasions since its expensive (for me, being pathetically poor).
I'm going to go have some.

Any idea if this would cross the blood brain barrier?
Also a quick search has found this, might be doable for regular intake
https://www.healthyplanetcanada.com/crofter-s-organic-just-fruit-spread-black-currant-235ml.html

Last edited:

Alvin2

I tried the blackcurrent supplements, did nothing of note.
Good to know, but disappointing :(
I'm going to take a glass of Ribena a day and see what happens during the next week.
Since it won't cost me anything i have little to lose and i get to enjoy one of my favourite juices :D

No idea if i have the dose right, what the half life is, if its standardized, if it crosses the blood brain barrier or not, but its delicious and low risk :woot:

Hip

What? :wide-eyed:

I have three bottles of Ribena, its available in most grocery stores around here (Canada).
I save it for special occasions since its expensive (for me, being pathetically poor).
I'm going to go have some.

Any idea if this would cross the blood brain barrier?
Also a quick search has found this, might be doable for regular intake
https://www.healthyplanetcanada.com/crofter-s-organic-just-fruit-spread-black-currant-235ml.html

Google says anthocyanins can cross the blood-brain barrier.

Violeta

This is so interesting, my fatigue has been much worse since having COVID at the end of June. In the USA, lingonberries or aronia berries would probably work.

You can get good quality lingonberry jam. Let me see if sour cherries would be good, too. Aronia berry products are mostly in powder form. Some are better than others, some are more expensive than others.

Oops, aronia and lingonberries are high in oxalates.

Last edited:

Violeta

A tangent that I'm thinking as a result of someone's comment is that microglia can be affected by peroxynitrite, too, and

what made me look that up is that Martin Pall recommends aronia berries for helping with the oxidative stress that causes peroxynitrite.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1174990/

Peroxynitrite generated by inducible nitric oxide synthase and NADPH oxidase mediates microglial toxicity to oligodendrocytes

My brain isn't working right atm, so I will come back and do clean up on this post later. But if this tangent is wrong or doesn't belong here, let me know.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I really don't wish to compete for your well earned title,
"Well earned"????

Are you being snidely with me on top of everything else? Is there no justice :bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:???
EGAD save me.
Sorry, no my yob.

Please apply to the appropriate govt office .... or better yet and for an even longer wait, write to your congress person

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Hasn't been mentioned in this thread but valcyte was once mentioned to inhibit microglia cells, but I guess was the microclia because of a herpes virus??? Maybe it was Dr Montoya? I can't recall the name but someone from pr use to use microdoses of valcyte and get good improvements from it.

My last stint on valcyte this year, fog/headaches cleared up quite quickly but not sustainable once I finished 3 months of valcyte.
But no idea if it's indirectly treating microglia by treating viruses or directly hitting microglia.

Alvin2

Google says anthocyanins can cross the blood-brain barrier.
Excellent!

We shall see if one glass a day for a week or however long the bottle lasts does anything for me.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Hasn't been mentioned in this thread but valcyte was once mentioned to inhibit microglia cells, but I guess was the microclia because of a herpes virus??? Maybe it was Dr Montoya? I can't recall the name but someone from pr use to use microdoses of valcyte and get good improvements from it.

My last stint on valcyte this year, fog/headaches cleared up quite quickly but not sustainable once I finished 3 months of valcyte.
But no idea if it's indirectly treating microglia by treating viruses or directly hitting microglia.

Sorry, memories are coming through the fog, azithromycin was another treatment used for its anti inflammatory effects on the brain not unlike valcyte but success from studies weren't great.

pattismith

This brain fog research by researchers Michelle Monje and Akiko Iwasaki sounds interesting. So excerpts:

It seems that in brain fog, specialized microglia in the white matter may have become permanently switched on:

The factor that is switching on these microglia appears to be CCL11:

Interestingly, CCL11 was found elevated in the brains of ME/CFS too, in this study.

Minocycline?

The CC chemokine ligand (CCL) 1, upregulated by the viral transactivator Tax, can be downregulated by minocycline: possible implications for long-term treatment of HTLV-1-associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis | Virology Journal | Full Text (biomedcentral.com)