• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Role of Kynurenine Pathway and NAD+ Metabolism in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Dehhaghi et al, 2022)

Abstract

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a serious, complex, and highly debilitating long-term illness. People with ME/CFS are typically unable to carry out their routine activities. Key hallmarks of the disease are neurological and gastrointestinal impairments accompanied by pervasive malaise that is exacerbated after physical and/or mental activity. Currently, there is no validated cure of biomarker signature for this illness. Impaired tryptophan (TRYP) metabolism is thought to play significant role in the pathobiology of ME/CFS. TRYP is an important precursor for serotonin and the essential pyridine nucleotide nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+). TRYP has been associated with the development of some parts of the brain responsible for behavioural functions. The main catabolic route for TRYP is the kynurenine pathway (KP). The KP produces NAD+ and several neuroactive metabolites with neuroprotective (i.e., kynurenic acid (KYNA)) and neurotoxic (i.e., quinolinic acid (QUIN)) activities. Hyperactivation of the KP, whether compensatory or a driving mechanism of degeneration can limit the availability of NAD+ and exacerbate the symptoms of ME/CFS. This review discusses the potential association of altered KP metabolism in ME/CFS. The review also evaluates the role of the patient’s gut microbiota on TRYP availability and KP activation. We propose that strategies aimed at raising the levels of NAD+ (e.g., using nicotinamide mononucleotide and nicotinamide riboside) may be a promising intervention to overcome symptoms of fatigue and to improve the quality of life in patients with ME/CFS. Future clinical trials should further assess the potential benefits of NAD+ supplements for reducing some of the clinical features of ME/CFS.

The study: http://www.aginganddisease.org/EN/10.14336/AD.2021.0824
Full paper not released yet though, hopefully will be soon.

Last edited:

Pyrrhus

Thanks for posting!

I am intrigued by these Australian authors, whom I have not heard of before. They are associated with the "Neuroinflammation Group" at Macquarie University as well as with an interesting organization called PANDIS:
PANDIS
‘Environmental health and medical research platform, investigating pathogenic microbes in chronic disease and cancer’
Source: pandis.org

LINE

Well NAD+ precursors have failed many of us, they provide a small benefit if best but nothing break through.
I also injected everything from NAD+ to NADH, NMN and NR just to make sure I dont have problems breaking it down orally.

Thanks for the information! I have never found that a single approach has ever worked, it must be multi-faceted.