• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Puzzle Solver, by Tracie White with Ron Davis

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
Book excerpt:
https://www.the-scientist.com/readi...1gxqbNYD2aGThhuOrTDh_Ky8kPnRiKP1pAdGH3ogwPJ9Q

Great article in Al Jazeera with great photos, which reaches 15 million people
https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2021/1/2/a-geneticists-biggest-challenge-curing-his-own-son

Article in NY Post
https://nypost.com/2021/01/02/how-a-scientist-finally-proved-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-is-real/

Article in The Scientist
https://www.the-scientist.com/readi...es5QM0bmLxWeVBThWqvqrBhc2tXWgfBUZpiu7uH6Udy9w

Whitney’s fb post about the book and how to order.

PLEASE order the book and tell all your friends and acquaintances about it! We are trying to get it onto the NYTimes Best Seller List! Audible versions don't work for that. Public awareness is so needed for this poorly misunderstood disease!

Please let us know what you think of the book!!!!

Thanks,
Janet

Last edited:

lenora

Yes, I ordered mine also. Whitney looked so much better in his latest photo...and please don't take it the wrong way. I have no doubt that he's a very ill young man, but his physical presence is so much greater now.

I know you've all been working very hard on so many different things. Thanks for giving us this opportunity to read about our own illness...and hope that Ron will be able to find help for the majority of the young ones affected. Wishing all of you well....Yours, Lenora.

leokitten

@Janet Dafoe is it ok to get the e-book from Apple Books? e-books are better for me because I can read them on a larger screen.

F54DE40A-851E-4A9F-9464-724ABE36DD23.png

wigglethemouse

@Janet Dafoe is it ok to get the e-book from Apple Books? e-books are better for me because I can read them on a larger screen.
Of course it is. Go for it!

If you have the means and you want to help the Best Seller lists that use a count of paper copies sold you could consider ordering a paper copy for another person to read, eg family members.

leokitten

If you have the means and you want to help the Best Seller lists that use a count of paper copies sold you could consider ordering a paper copy for another person to read, eg family members

From what I read now on the web, ebook sales from the major vendors (Amazon, Apple, Google, etc.) are included in the counts of prominent bestseller lists?

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
We are trying to get it onto the NYTimes Best Seller List! Audible and Kindle versions don't work for that. Public awareness is so needed for this poorly misunderstood disease!
@Janet Dafoe - This is what the New York Times says about ebooks and its bestseller lists: About the Best Sellers:
E-book rankings reflect sales from leading online vendors of e-books in a variety of popular e-reader formats and are included in our combined fiction, combined nonfiction, advice, children's series and monthly lists. Titles are included regardless of whether they are published in both print and electronic formats or just one format. In general, publisher credits for e-books are listed under the corporate publishing name instead of by publisher's division or imprint, unless by special request.

So it looks like they do include ebooks in their bestseller lists - it's hard to believe they wouldn't as so many books are sold as ebooks today.

Actually, I just found this, the actual NY Best Sellers list, which includes these four categories for books (there are a couple more categories as well): Print & ebook fiction, print & ebook nonfiction, and hardcover fiction and nonfiction.

So there is a list for hardcover nonfiction only, but there is also a list for print and ebook combined nonfiction, which I think would be more significant.

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
@Janet Dafoe - This is what the New York Times says about ebooks and its bestseller lists: About the Best Sellers:

So it looks like they do include ebooks in their bestseller lists - it's hard to believe they wouldn't as so many books are sold as ebooks today.

Actually, I just found this, the actual NY Best Sellers list, which includes these four categories for books (there are a couple more categories as well): Print & ebook fiction, print & ebook nonfiction, and hardcover fiction and nonfiction.

So there is a list for hardcover nonfiction only, but there is also a list for print and ebook combined nonfiction, which I think would be more significant.
So maybe it’s audiobooks that don’t count?

Hi @Janet Dafoe,

Just ordered my copy, can't wait to get my hands on it! On a semi related topic, I know that you can't say much because you might lose future funding, but would it be possible to say what were waiting on regarding Whitney's post on a possible cure this year? (e.g. waiting for a paper to be published, funding, FDA approval) Glad to hear Whitney is feeling better with Abilify, and that Dr. Davis is making great progress towards finding the cause and a treatment for ME/CFS.

sb4

Just signed up for audible as I heard it was there but I couldn't find it on the UK store. I checked the US one and it is there. Is there a way you can update it to non US stores.