• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The propaganda war on chronically ill and disabled people just went up a gear

Very interesting article! On the one hand, the side of me that's still innocent and naive wonders 'why would the media be dead set on dismissing the disease as one of fatigue that can be alleviated through exercise regimes and psychological therapies, rather than a biological disease?' But the other side of me that sees media bias, corruption, manipulation, and the sheer lack of journalistic integrity across multiple topics (especially recently but that's another subject entirely), is not in the least bit surprised. I can see perfectly well even with my childlike eyes that this is part of the wider agenda to keep sick, disabled people in the UK from receiving benefits and forcing them to work. I don't know about the US, but my dad and I have been fighting this Tory government and their push to get people into work for years! Of course a disease that has such a scornful history like 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' will be quickly and harshly dismissed in the sneakiest way they can, ie, claiming it's been expertly proven that exercise and a psychological therapy that gets people to think more positively in life can and will cure it. We just need to stop thinking negatively! And do some squats! And our pains, digestive dysfunction, muscular spasms, vertigo, head zaps, stammering, skin conditions, and fatigue will go away!

I seem to find myself in the stigmatised groups wherever I go, serious and trivial matters both, and I seem to fight the media in all of them, so I guess I belong here!

I don't know how people with disabilities are treated in the US and elsewhere, but I know M.E patients are still treated like dirt all over.

This PACE thing sounds ignorant as heck and dangerous to boot. I've read about it before. It's a wonder my dad has never been advised it? He must have a great doctor...