• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Next Lyrica? Thousand Person Fibromyalgia Drug Trial is Underway

Bob

This is an interesting read, especially if you're interested in gabapentin and pregabalin.

The Next Lyrica? Thousand Person Fibromyalgia Drug Trial is Underway
by Cort Johnson
July 26, 2015

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...sand-person-fibromyalgia-drug-trial-underway/

It’s not often that you see a 1,000 person drug trial for fibromyalgia or any other disease but one recently begun in the U.S. and Canada. A Japanese drug company, Daiichi Sankyo, is making a huge bet on a new drug called mirogabalin for fibromyalgia and other diseases.

Misfit Toy

Here's hoping it's nothing like Lyrica...which is a funny statement! I drooled on that drug. Lyrica, in my book, is poison. I was a zombie on Lyrica and beyond depressed...never again. I will stick with the pain...unfortunately.

If it's a better drug, here's hoping...that would be great for those of us with Fibro..I would welcome it, if my MCAS wasn't an issue.

panckage

Gotta agree @Misfit Toy toy lyrica made me retarded :p

Its actually kind of funny because I was working with mentally handicapped kids that week so I never realized how stupid and brain dead Lyrica made me until there was a minor incident and that I couldn't handle. At that time I took a brain stimulating substance and was just barely able to figure out something was wrong. I discontinued Lyrica and luckily was back to my baseline within a few days :p

The worst thing about being on lyrica is that felt like how I had been for my whole and how I would be forever. I had absolutely no idea anything was amiss. It's a very dangerous drug IMO

Misfit Toy

Lyrica is not supposed to be good for the brain. I read an article about it the other day on a site for fibro patients. It doesn't allow the brain to produce cells or receptors.

I literally couldn't talk on it. I was stupified on it. I have a friend that can take high doses and it just goes to show how everyone is different.

I was also horrible on neurontin. I wanted to end my life on that drug.

These drugs treat pain by killing, or numbing the brain. To me, that makes no sense. Let's rob Peter to pay Paul. All I did was sleep on neurontin and I had constant nightmares. My sleep was like a never ending dream...a bad one.

And yet my cousin swears by the drug, so who knows...

barbc56

That sounds great. I couldn't tolerate Lyrica. Seventeen times stronge?. Fewer side effects?

Could be a winner.

Barb

@Misfit Toy

I also know someone who gets a lot of relief on Lyrica. Funny how we all react differently.

jimells

Why do neurologists think that anti-seizure and anti-psychotic meds are all-purpose? My neuro tried to convince me that he could stop the migraines if I were willing to take high enough doses of these drugs, with a very gradual increase, of course. I told him thanks, but no thanks.

And why are they so willing to try drugs with high rates of adverse effects that have little evidence of effectiveness, but so unwilling to try drugs that might actually work, like rituxan?

barbc56

Antidepressants work on neurotransmitters which relieve pain.

Tramadol works in a similar way and for me has been more effective than the opiates which have more side effects as well as a greater potential for addiction. ADs also have fewer side effects/fewer addictive properties compared to the opiates.

But as in the above posts, it depends on the person.

Barb

ETA Antidepressants are often the first line of treatment for the pain of migrain headaches. Rituximab is not approved for use with me/cfs at this point as it's still in the experimental stage.