• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Lancet commission Fink, Knoop et al to write an editorial to criticise the new NICE guidelines (Full Text Attached)

Countrygirl

It appears that The Lancet has commissioned Fink, Knoop et al to attack the content and implementation of the new NICE guidelines. This is the abstract and a PDF of the article is attached.

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) in the UK published a new chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) guideline in October, 2021.

The previous NICE 2007 guideline recommended cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET) for people with mild or moderate CFS/ME based on evidence from randomised trials.

Since then, more randomised trials and systematic reviews have provided additional evidence supporting these recommendations.

No new or more effective interventions have been identified. Although we applaud guideline efforts, it is remarkable that recommendations in the 2021 NICE guideline differ substantially from the previous one, and do not include CBT and GET as means to treat CFS/ME. The new guideline presents strengthened evidence, but a major shift in interpretation. How could this happen?

Attached is the full text.

Attachments

• ME Lancet Editorial 12 Feb.pdf
    254.1 KB · Views: 28