• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Hammer - Vistide and Dr. Peterson

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Dr. Peterson noted a remarkable case of a patient who was in horrible, horrible shape - not as bad as Mike Dessin - but still just horrible shape - who recovered completely on Vistide. (COMPLETELY) It appears to be able to fight off those herpesviruses that cause so much trouble in one subset of patients.

But a friend of mine calls Vistide a chemotherapeutic like agent; its expensive and it, like many of the antivirals, can be hard on the body. Dr Peterson wants him to do Vistide next and he's balking right now.

Any experiences with Vistide?

hvs

Vistide

I'm expecting to begin Vistide infusions very soon and will report on my experience.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Great to hear Ross. All these antivirals seem to have the potential to cause dramatic side effects but as I recall no one on Montoya's trial experienced anything untoward either.

I do have some more questions. Was it the CMV and HHV6 titers that got him to get you on Vistide? Spinal tap results? Had you tried valtrex or any other antivirals? I wonder if this is his antiviral of first choice now? Does he have you on any other immune enhancing supplements?

It sounds like you've made substantial progress - sleeping, of course is a big deal and I equate cognition and the ability to deal with mental stressors as a bigger factor in quality of life than the ability to withstand physical stress (as nice as that would be!). The ability to exercise really does seem to be that final hurdle.

Hope you get to it. Good luck and thanks for all the info. (Love your avatar by the way!)

Tony

Still working on it all..
Great to hear from a Peterson patient...:) Thanks Ross, very informative and well worth reading. I wish you more improvement.

Cheers, Tony...:)

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
It is great to hear from a Dr. Peterson patient because we're so interested in going on over there. Thanks again.

I love that 'Valtrex is like Cool-Aid compared to Vistide' - that's great. As I remember Dr. Peterson has tried alot of alternative immune products with his Incline Village-like group and stated they just don't work well for them.

It sounds like it's helped with orthostatic problems? They're a real bear for alot of people; very tricky to treat it seems.

Jody

Ross,

I've been admiring your avatar as well.

But, I'm not sure what I'm seeing, wings yes, and ... it looks like ... a heart maybe? I can't tell.

Jody

It's a clear crisp beautiful picture.

Perhaps there's a bit less definition in what I'm seeing than what you see? Perhaps there's a bit less definition around the heart itself, because I couldn't have said for sure that that's what it was. The shape is perhaps a bit shaded ...

Either way, Ross, it's a beautiful.

KC22

Hi Ross,

I am very interested in your treatments. I see you have CMV and Vistide helped. Do you have any other pathogens??

I have tested postive for EBV, CMV, and HHV6. I also have a very high antibody titer to mycoplasma pneumoniae, over 1600. I work with Dr. Lerner and he has me on valtrex, valcyte and doxycycline. Did you ever take valcyte?? My hhv6 numbers has been coming down, but not CMV, it's exactly where it was when I started, 16 months ago. I believe the valcyte is for the CMV.

I have tried a series of alternative methods, too: nutritional IV's, accupuncture, neural therapy, prolotheraphy and homepathics. They made me feel better for awhile, but never held... Also, very expensive..

Any ideas???? Thanks!!!

Jody

Well, it's beautiful, Ross, whatever it is. :D And now that you have confirmed it's a heart .. I can see that it is a heart. And in fact, I asked you if it was a heart originally, so ... there. :)

I see you have written Sufi heart. And I'm wondering if there is maybe a story of some kind behind this soaring heart .....

Is that photo you mentioned, the one on your Profile?

Jody

Ross,

So I take it you created this avatar yourself? Nice job.

I don't know alot about the Sufi philosophy but I was reading some stuff written by a guy who embraces it and I was deeply touched by what I read.

As to the problem with your email notifications, I'm not sure what the problem would be. Have you set it in your User Control Panel for notifications?

Your best bet is to check with Cort about this one. This is definitely his department. :)

KC22

Ross,
Lots of good infomation there. I am writing both of these meds down, vistide and rifampin. I have never really heard of either one. My mycoplasma does not want to go down so maybe this refampin will help. I will search it. Have you ever used it???

I go back to Dr. Lerner the end of August and will discuss these meds with him. I moved from a 2 to a 4 with his treatment. I have seen improvement, but still pretty sick and can't hold it. One day I can do a little something and then I crash for 4-5 days.
Yuck!!

Thanks for responding. This is new information and I am always looking for things to try. Cindy

hvs

Vistide

Thanks for taking the time to give us a good picture of your progress, Ross. I have EBV and HHV-6 and I'm starting vistide w/ Dr. P next week. Great to hear that your insurance company will cover it.
I would be thrilled to experience the cognitive clearing even if the physical improvement takes longer.
Fingers crossed for you, Ross!

Lisa

Hello Ross and Nice to meet you!

In post #7 on this thread you said medicare is covering the drug costs for you. I was wondering if this was through a prescription drug plan or how you had it covered.

Out of curiosity, I tend to look up any prescription drugs people mention worked for them and see if they are covered. When I looked up the Vistide it came back with some very crazy prices listed.

All of this drug coverage stuff is very confusing to me. :eek:

Take care,
Lisa

hvs

Vistide

I, too, can vouch that his office is very upfront about the risks. And they have a careful protocol for administering and are hyper vigilant about monitoring afterwards.

One should indeed weigh potential risks vs. benefits. In my case, the cost of not taking it is losing my career...guaranteed. As the main breadwinner in my family, that cost is unacceptable for the future of my spouse and child.

(But don't worry: Bill Reeves is hot on the case to end this disease so that in the future no more families are threatened...) ;)

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Wpi

One thing the WPI is trying to do I think is to figure out why these drugs work in some people and not others. We know the right person responds very well to these drugs; some people respond fairly well and others not so well. I believe that part of this translational medicine the WPI is focusing on is determining through gene expression or whatever why patient X with CMV responds so well when patient Y does not.

That - and better drugs - would really move the field forward. Annette Whittemore in one of her talks said the WPI is on the cusp of a treatment trial in the US. Does anybody know anything about that?

hvs

Vistide

Glad your getting the treatment. Let me know if I can help in any way.....Questions or whatever. I'll be there at Dr. Petersons this Monday for my last treatment. Maybe I will get to meet you.

How did you feel on the day your received and the following days, Ross?
Thanks!

hvs

Vistide dose #1

I had my first administration of Vistide Monday (what a long process!) and I, too, had no immediate side-effects. (It sounds like when people have a bad experience they are reacting to the kidney-protecting drugs.)

Now we're checking my blood almost every day this week to monitor kidney and liver functions. Fingers crossed!

Great to hear that your numbers continue to improve, Ross, and that it's worth keeping up on the Vistide.

KC22

Hi Ross,

I am interested in the changes in your labs. I have been on valcyte, valtrex and doxycycline. While I am feeling better, my labs are not moving a whole lot. I don't get it.

Are you feeling a lot better with your numbers changing??

Thanks...