• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Foxes Chase the Hounds, an editorial by Mindy Kitei

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
When the healthy reprove the sick that theyre impatient and reckless and foolish and need to wait for treatment, I say isnt it funny how healthy naysayers get to enjoy their lives while admonishing the sick to be grateful that life is not any worse. It is sickening. Its also a way for the fit to distance themselves from those who are suffering. The only people who can put a stop to this paternalism and delay are the patients themselves, by acting up, by challenging every inaccurate and inappropriate comment and action.

Brilliant!!!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
This is great stuff, Mindy. We are really lucky to have you reporting on this. You have such compassion.

Angela Kennedy

My personal favourite comment:

"Perhaps they could explain how the Canadian Consensus CFS and the Empirical CFS are homographs: Words that sound the same but have different meanings like bow (shoots arrows) and bow (tied with a ribbon). That’s all they have in common. No researcher on the CFSAC committee voices umbrage at the muddling of these disparate groups—this lunacy that passes for science—for fear of alienating the government agencies that feed them."

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Yes, I liked that comment about the 'bow' too! To me this conjured up:

CCC definition Bow = ('shoots arrows') = effective, serious and targeted results.
Empiral definition Bow = ('ribbon') = ineffectual, cosmetic and a bit frivolous.

To get a message across with a clever visual image like this - which makes a valid point, but which also makes people smile - is I think the mark of a powerful writer. Thanks Mindy!