• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Electrical Apocalypse: Can we avoid it?

Hip

Perhaps in some situations, grounding yourself may enhance your exposure to EMI if your body is functioning as an antenna?

I think that is right: earthing/grounding yourself will help the oscillating fields of electromagnetic radiations to induce oscillating electric currents in your body. I hypothesized here that these induced electric currents in your body actually form the basis of the therapeutic effects obtained from earthing/grounding.

Last edited:

Womble

Well assuming there are any therapuetic effects from grounding, why would the benefits eventually turn negative?

Aside from being grounded as a kid, maybe I'm not fully understanding what it means to be grounded. :)

Hip

As I explained in my hypothesis of how grounding the body works, the ground connection allows electromagnetic waves in the environment to create an electric current in the body.

It is actually very easy to measure this electric current using a $10 multimeter. With my multimeter, I measured an AC current of 0.2 μA was running between me and earth, when I was indoors. And when I moved my body or limbs to within 1 foot or less of a power adaptor plug (power adaptors contain a transformer that creates an oscillating magnetic field in proximity of the adaptor), I found that the AC current flowing to earth went up to around 1.0 μA. So if you are in close proximity to any power adaptor plug or any mains electrical device containing a transformer, your body will pick up more mains hum, and this will increase the current flowing to earth.

This electric current that flows in your body generated by power adaptors will flow with a 50 or 60 Hz frequency (the frequency of mains electricity), and this may have its own effects.

So as the above video suggests, earthing in an urban environment, or in a house where there is mains electricity, is not going to be the same as earthing in the middle of nowhere, away from mains electricity fields, and other electromagnetic waves. If you earth yourself where there are strong electromagnetic fields, the earth will allow those fields to create an electric current in your body.

To conduct this test yourself, get a multimeter, hold the metal probe of one of the two test leads of the multimeter in your hand, and connect the metal probe of the other lead to earth. You will now be connected to earth through the multimeter. Set your multimeter to the AC microamps range (μA), and you will be able to read the AC current running between you and the earth (for this test, make sure you are not earthed in any way other than via the multimeter connection to earth, so wear rubber soled shoes).

My feeling is that having such a current in your body all night long may not be a good thing. So perhaps this is why after a few initial days of benefit, grounding/earthing at night makes you feel bad, because you are letting an electric current flow through your body for too many hours (people tend to sleep around 6 to 8 hours a night). Perhaps if you only earthed yourself for ½ an hour a day, you'd be OK.

But there are so few studies on this, that nobody knows the answers.

At least I think that genetic factors are necessary, but not sufficient, factors to ES. I can only tell what I have seen in the test results. Hopefully a proper methylation will help. But then there is the so important conjugation with help of the glutathione-s-transferase enzymes (GST) that has to work properly too.

Thank you for your advice about my methylation protocol. I have had the methylation panel from Health Diagnostics done twice, and just a little increase in reduced glutathione could be seen. Recently I was diagnosed with Lyme (that I have had probably for 3 years) and as you probably have seen, Rich posted about how the Borrelia b "consumes" glutathione. It never seems to end... I got huge doses of MCbl 20 years ago that really made a change, though only being heterozygote in two of the MTRR SNP´s. I also moved out from a house with mold and other chemicals that also made a big change.

This is a fascinating discussion to me. I was a computer programmer for over a decade, however now being behind my laptop drains my energy more quickly than if I avoid it. The more I am away from it, the more I can be on it later. If I've been on too much one day, the next day 30 minutes on it will make me fatigued. I recently saw KDM and he says he believes I have Lymes, even though I've tested negative for it via Igenex twice (some bands were positive, but not enough to considered to be positive for Lymes). However, I'm having a PCR done which will test for more strains. I will get those results in about a month. I've been online too much tonight to read the rest of this thread, but it would be great if improving my methylation, about to start Rich's simplified protocol, or treating Lymes will help with this.

Helen

This is a fascinating discussion to me. I was a computer programmer for over a decade, however now being behind my laptop drains my energy more quickly than if I avoid it. The more I am away from it, the more I can be on it later. If I've been on too much one day, the next day 30 minutes on it will make me fatigued. I recently saw KDM and he says he believes I have Lymes, even though I've tested negative for it via Igenex twice (some bands were positive, but not enough to considered to be positive for Lymes). However, I'm having a PCR done which will test for more strains. I will get those results in about a month. I've been online too much tonight to read the rest of this thread, but it would be great if improving my methylation, about to start Rich's simplified protocol, or treating Lymes will help with this.

Hi abporter,

In Sweden many people got sick from their computers in the 80th´s. The officies where computerized. Sorry for wrong words or grammar - difficult to write about this things for me, but hope that you will understand. It was from a combination of frequencies from the computers and from chemicals that where released when they got hot. It was said that a new PC , or any electronic equipment as TV sets a.o., should be on in a garage or so for two weeks before used. Then 75 % of the chemicals should have been gased away. I still do like this.

About the frequencies, there was also research that they choose to hide and not publish, that showed that mercury was released from amalgam fillings by the computers. I have a copy of the original document. A technician who worked to help ES people, told me that he knew what brands made most people sick...I remember them.

I have many, many examples of combinations of EMF and chemicals that have made people sick.

Maybe this is worth reading. I don´t agree to all, as the organization hasn´t fully admitted that ES people have an impaired detoxification that I am quite sure of.
http://energizate.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Electrosensitivity-Electro-smog-and-Chemistry.pdf

I watched your polymorphisms, and I am sad to say that you have many in your detox system in the liver that can explain your ES, as far as I can see. Your conjugation ability (your ability to bind with glutation ) is probably very low due to the GST defects. I have got information from people who have had their genetests commented by researchers in this area.
And then there are the polymorfisms that might have blocked your methylation too. I recommend studying this thourough.

Also your CYP3A4 polymorphism might make you vulnerable to 50-60 % of all medicins as this means you don´t have the enzymes that breakes them down in the livers Phase I detoxification. See the comments in the example from Genovations DetoxiGenomics test.

I think you should be very careful when you start a methylation protocol that might move mercury and other heavy metals to e.g. the brain. If possible try to get a knowledgeable doctor.

I would also recommend reading this http://drhyman.com/downloads/Dementia-Myth.pdf. It is about methylation and GST polymorphisms too.

As this thread is @Womble ´s I stay with this, as this information might be of general interest.

So, open the window when you are using your laptop and other electrical devices combined with chemicals :)

Last edited:

dannybex

So as the above video suggests, earthing in an urban environment, or in a house where there is mains electricity, is not going to be the same as earthing in the middle of nowhere, away from mains electricity fields, and other electromagnetic waves. If you earth yourself where there are strong electromagnetic fields, the earth will allow those fields to create an electric current in your body.

My feeling is that having such a current in your body all night long may not be a good thing. So perhaps this is why after a few initial days of benefit, grounding/earthing at night makes you feel bad, because you are letting an electric current flow through your body for too many hours (people tend to sleep around 6 to 8 hours a night). Perhaps if you only earthed yourself for ½ an hour a day, you'd be OK.

Dr. Sam Milham M.D., the author of "Dirty Electricity", agrees with you Hip. Found this enlightening interview with him last night. About 45 minutes in, he says to avoid them for the very reasons you mention, plus more.

http://oneradionetwork.com/environm...d-the-diseases-of-civilization-march-18-2013/

Hi abporter,

In Sweden many people got sick from their computers in the 80th´s. The officies where computerized. Sorry for wrong words or grammar - difficult to write about this things for me, but hope that you will understand. It was from a combination of frequencies from the computers and from chemicals that where released when they got hot. It was said that a new PC , or any electronic equipment as TV sets a.o., should be on in a garage or so for two weeks before used. Then 75 % of the chemicals should have been gased away. I still do like this.

About the frequencies, there was also research that they choose to hide and not publish, that showed that mercury was released from amalgam fillings by the computers. I have a copy of the original document. A technician who worked to help ES people, told me that he knew what brands made most people sick...I remember them.

I have many, many examples of combinations of EMF and chemicals that have made people sick.

Maybe this is worth reading. I don´t agree to all, as the organization hasn´t fully admitted that ES people have an impaired detoxification that I am quite sure of.
http://energizate.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Electrosensitivity-Electro-smog-and-Chemistry.pdf

I watched your polymorphisms, and I am sad to say that you have many in your detox system in the liver that can explain your ES, as far as I can see. Your conjugation ability (your ability to bind with glutation ) is probably very low due to the GST defects. I have got information from people who have had their genetests commented by researchers in this area.
And then there are the polymorfisms that might have blocked your methylation too. I recommend studying this thourough.

Also your CYP3A4 polymorphism might make you vulnerable to 50-60 % of all medicins as this means you don´t have the enzymes that breakes them down in the livers Phase I detoxification. See the comments in the example from Genovations DetoxiGenomics test.

I think you should be very careful when you start a methylation protocol that might move mercury and other heavy metals to e.g. the brain. If possible try to get a knowledgeable doctor.

I would also recommend reading this http://drhyman.com/downloads/Dementia-Myth.pdf. It is about methylation and GST polymorphisms too.

As this thread is @Womble ´s I stay with this, as this information might be of general interest.

So, open the window when you are using your laptop and other electrical devices combined with chemicals :)
@Helen Thank you for this information! My mind is a bit weary right now from being on my laptop all night, even though I slept about 12 hours during the day today. I will look at the links after I've had more of a break. Your comment on my CYP3A4 SNP is interesting. I was on Klonopin to help me sleep several years ago, then had to get off of it for a sleep study. Even though I followed the recommended taper, I believe I went into benzodiazapine withdrawal and could barely tolerate light or sound for about 7 months. I'm now back on it again so that I don't have these withdrawal symptoms. I would like to get off of it at some point, but I think it will have to be a slower taper. Maybe improving my methylation first will help with that. By the way, your English is great, thanks for communicating!

brenda

I have been following this conversation with interest, as I have been using a grounding sheet for quite a few months now. I did not connect my latest relapse to it but removed it from my bed as an experiment and low and behold, there have been some improvements. Heart arrhythmias have stopped whereas they were increasing, and my adrenals seem to happier. I am sleeping better but that could be the riboflavin which I have recently remebered about (I love b2!)

Womble

I think the grouding sheet might be a dead end.

I have had recent success putting aluminum foil in a baseball cap and just shielding my head with it. That seems to at least enable me to be in certain environments for longer periods of time before getting symptoms.

As far as glutathione goes, I still cannot get above a dose of 100 mg every few days. If I increase, I'm still seeing negative symptoms.

I am going to experiment with a 'detox cocktail' proposed by M.D. Sherry Rogers, which is to combine glutathione, alpha lipoic acid, and vit-C. That seems promising.

WoolPippi

I've build myself a tent of Faraday, using special (and expensive) cloth that blocks EMF. It's coated with silver, the best colliding metal there is.
I can rest in it whenever I want. There's no cell reception or wireless in it. Instant bliss.

after using it for a while I now feel I needed not take the most expensive cloth, I could have done with mesh, shielding netting or gauze. The difference is a 99% blockage vs. 99,99% with the silver cloth.

I know a woman who has treated her whole house. She sleeps in a tent like this. And she wears the clothing. She lines her hats with it. It works! She's very sensitive and now she has a life again.

She put me onto this and she gave this advice that she learned through trial and error:
- main priority is blockage around 50dB (!!)
- always use the highest blockage you can afford
- use this brand Yshield (the brand my cloth is from); the swisshield brand was not her favourite
- don't use stainless steel, it just works less
- always fold every seam over, avoiding gaps is essential. A little hole is less problematic than a long slit (the engineer is me is wriggling eyebrows)
- aim at excellent blockage around 1 and 2 Giga hertz (I presume those interfere most with our own frequencies. Her theory is it interferes with the brain stem. I'm thinking Na/Ka pump (Sodium/Potassium pump to Americans))

hope this helps. She was extremely sensitive. I, apparently, am just moderately sensitive to EMF and could have done with more affordable materials.

Last edited:

brenda

I want to build one after my new bed base arrives. I am thinking of bamboosticks on the four corners or maybe a unit like yours.

Helen

Some shielding fabrics are flame retardant, that can emit unhealthy chemicals. I would avoid them as ES seems to be correlated to chemical exposure. Hope this was expressed correct so you that are interested understand.

dannybex

She put me onto this and she gave this advice that she learned through trial and error:
- main priority is blockage around 50dB (!!)

That's the thing that the Greenwave and Stetzer people say as well, and claim that their filters (that one plugs into electrical outlets) effectively reduce harmful EMFs and transient 'dirty electricity' more effectively than grounding/earthing pads or sheets, etc.. I don't know who's right, but it seems like these EMF levels can be tested using various meters to confirm if they're being reduced or blocked or not…

They also emphasize the dangers of compact fluorescent lights -- apparently they put out a lot of the bad transient EMFs -- much more so than regular electric bulbs (plus, they contain mercury, so they have to be disposed of at hazardous waste dumps). Instead they recommend LED lighting.

Womble

Some shielding fabrics are flame retardant, that can emit unhealthy chemicals. I would avoid them as ES seems to be correlated to chemical exposure. Hope this was expressed correct so you that are interested understand.

This is my main concern with the Faraday cage, that it will make my MCS worse.

The fabric has to be non-flame retardant, as Helen says.

Can anyone point me to something like that within the USA?

Helen knows mostly Swedish sources :)

Thanks,
Womble

brenda

I have been looking at play tunnels, to cover with the fabric but am having trouble finding one wide enough for my mattress topper to fit inside. Does the German company do untreated fabric? I know they don't put fire retardant on beds.

dannybex

It is actually very easy to measure this electric current using a $10 multimeter. With my multimeter, I measured an AC current of 0.2 μA was running between me and earth, when I was indoors. And when I moved my body or limbs to within 1 foot or less of a power adaptor plug (power adaptors contain a transformer that creates an oscillating magnetic field in proximity of the adaptor), I found that the AC current flowing to earth went up to around 1.0 μA. So if you are in close proximity to any power adaptor plug or any mains electrical device containing a transformer, your body will pick up more mains hum, and this will increase the current flowing to earth.

HI @Hip ,

Do you think that the meter you mention above would work the same as the ones offered by the Stezter or Greenwave folks? I really think I need to look into this, but am very broke, so I'd much rather spend $10 instead of the $125+ that I don't have.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

https://www.stetzerelectric.com/store/stetzerizer-microsurge-meter/

http://greenwavefilters.3dcartstores.com/Greenwave-EMI-Meter_p_18.html

Last edited:

Hip

IN that video, Klinghardt provides no names of researchers, and no references to any published research, regarding his statement that electromagnetic fields increase mold toxin production in mold by 600 times.

So I would take that statement with a pinch of salt.