• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

THE CHRONIC ELPHANT DOES A ( REALLY HELPFUL) MINDNESS COURSE

hellytheelephant

Hi folks
In Jan 2019 I started this online mindfulness course - with fairly low expectations. I didn't know whether I could complete it, or whether I would want to. This is the course:
Breathworks Online Self-paced Course

I should stress that this course is not any kind of cure or treatment- it's aim is to help you live better with whatever situations you have to live with. There is no religious angle or dogma.

I had pretty much given up on meditation, I can't get into a sitting pose ( sitting is very painful), and I didn't think I could cope with long meditations. In fact the course is designed by someone who is a long term chronic pain sufferer, and you are encouraged to do the guided 10 minute meditations in which ever posture you can ( under the duvet in my case). You are also 'allowed' to move or adjust position when you need to.

Doing the course gave me really helpful tools to help me cope with chronic illnesses, and I found the self-paced study, ( unlike a lot of other stuff I've tried), easily fitted into my existing life and limitations. It was also pretty cheap!!!

Here are my Blogs written as I went through the three months of getting through course, and as you will see, it wasn't all plain sailing!
PART 1 PART 2 PART 3 PART 4 PART 5 PART 6

the dog ate my homework.png

I hope some of you will be interested.

Rufous McKinney

I can't get into a sitting pose ( sitting is very painful), and I didn't think I could cope with long meditations.

I think most meditation rules can be modified to deal with individual circumstances. An issue for some is: falling asleep...defeating the purpose...but here: the Wired But Tired would preclude that happening.

thanks for posting, will check that out.