• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The brain-fog recipe, what is yours?

What combination of things would give you a really bad brain-fog day?
In other words, what is your worst 'bad brain-fog recipe?'

Maybe we can help each other a bit, not by following the 'bad brain-fog recipe' of course, but by understanding which things trigger brain-fog episodes for others and maybe yourself. And what sort of things could be avoided.

You can name:
-Times of the day
-Foods or food combinations
-Situations, circumstances, surroundings
-Supplements, medications
-And anything else that contributes to horrible brain-fog.
----

My own first recipe for horrible brain-fog is:
Canned soup (<--- no good for me) and bread, and then drink some coffee.
For me this is palpitations and brain-fog for sure, and after that a day long of complete sleepiness and drowsiness.

Also eggs and dairy are worse then most other foods.

And mornings, every single morning its brain-fog time.

Last edited:

Mrs Sowester

Top of my list is the horrible husband of a good friend of mine. More than 5 minutes listening to his bile and hello head fog!

ukxmrv

Any morning from 5am up to around 12 noon / 1pm

regular as clockwork for 30 years.

After any exertion or exercise

After or during any long conversation

After standing in a Q

Awful sleep, and by that I mean a lack of total time asleep or very unrefreshing sleep, plus stimulants (caffeine, methylphenidate, amphetamines), plus sensory stimuli from a public place such as an airport or shopping mall, along with a touch of present or prior-day physical exertion is pretty reliable to induce dementia-like brain fog for me.

Of that recipe, I would say that poor sleep is the most important ingredient. Usually people are stimulated by acute sleep deprivation, but not me; it drains me immediately. This when combined with sensory stimulation makes me shut down into a dissociated state. Also unlike others, stimulants do not help cover up poor sleep and instead for me, produce a zombie-like state of feeling like I'm half dead in a different metaphysical dimension.