• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Benzodiazepine Medical Disaster

Rvanson

Impressed with your knowledge on benzos. What’s really interesting to me is that every single benzo will cause a positive test for such (I’m regularly tested). I haven’t found an exception yet. And no GABAergics but an actual pharmaceutical benzo feel like a benzo. Sucks

Yes, I have tried everything I can that is OTC, and Gabamenergic, and nothing touches a benzodiazepine like Xanax. I am lucky to have it, else time to buy online.

Rvanson

Yeah, there's no way to reproduce the effect of a benzo. Not even gabapentin comes close.

Maybe an investigation into what other chemicals can produce a positive on a blood test? There must be some sort of back door here. At least in a fair world ....

I was REAL lucky as I was a professional truck driver and part business owner, when I was driving. They did not test for Benzo's back then, else I would have had my Class A license pulled. Trust me, without Xanax I would have been driving sleep-deprived, but Xanax is so short-acting it never interfered with my driving skills at all. I use to blind-side (that means not being able to see in your mirrors,) into dark inside docks with no help at all and without incidents. Falling asleep at then wheel never occurred during all those years. Not even once. The few times my CFS made me tired, I'd pull it over for half an hour, and I was ready to go. I was lucky as I liked working. Then as I got near retirement, it came back to the point I was no longer able to do my job anymore. When CFS first hit me like a baseball bat I was sick in bed for months. I was lucky, I got a second chance after 10 months.

YippeeKi YOW !!

What’s really interesting to me is that every single benzo will cause a positive test for such (I’m regularly tested)

Maybe an investigation into what other chemicals can produce a positive on a blood test? There must be some sort of back door here. At least in a fair world ....
I realized that due to an odd form of fuzzy brain fog and an unusual amount of pain, I didn't make the point of this clear. Or even marginally visible.

I was thinking that if you could find an herb, or a combination of herbs (the ones most commonly used for sleep and anxiety might be a good place to start, since they clear thru the same pathways that benzos do) or any substance, other than illegal ones, that tend to skew a benzo drug test towards positive, you could use that as an explanation for your results and skate away from any repercussions of a serious nature ....

Rvanson

I realized that due to an odd form of fuzzy brain fog and an unusual amount of pain, I didn't make the point of this clear. Or even marginally visible.

I was thinking that if you could find an herb, or a combination of herbs (the ones most commonly used for sleep and anxiety might be a good place to start, since they clear thru the same pathways that benzos do) or any substance, other than illegal ones, that tend to skew a benzo drug test towards positive, you could use that as an explanation for your results and skate away from any repercussions of a serious nature ....

The world isn't fair. It never has been.

Even when I got back to work, I spent my weekends in bed, to recuperate for another week of work. I was not out having a good time like most people. I worked and then I crashed on the weekends.. I was lucky that most driving gigs had me home most days (or nights, as I did lots of night driving)

In fact, the night driving made it easier, as I am an insomniac, who sleeps during the day. I've no doorbell as it's disconnected and a sign not to knock on the door (which I would not answer anyhow, as opening doors can be deadly, if someone is trying to rob or kill you). Is it any wonder that I live alone with my two cats?

Rvanson

There's worse company, if that's any consolation :hug::hug: .....

I love my cats. More simple to take care of, and affectionate. And in these days, cheaper to feed than a dog. They, however, can be subject to Feline Kidney Disease like my cat, Squeaky was. It was expensive to prolong her life, but she became so ill that I had to euthanize her to end her suffering. Both of my cats now are in great health.