• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thane Black - severe ME patient involuntarily committed in Minnesota

Diwi9

Administrator
I don't believe this story has been posted to our forums yet. The link I'm posting is from Thane's Twitter feed, so you can look at it. A few days ago he posted a thread explaining the basis for his commitment: he checked himself into a hospital because he was unable to eat and losing weight. He was then screened and his condition is being viewed as a mental problem. He has now been placed in a psychiatric facility on an emergency 3-day involuntary hold. The state is now seeking to extend the involuntary commitment. The link I'm posting has a link to his GoFundMe where his advocates are posting additional information and updates about his status.

bensmith

Ive been following thid and dont understand how this can happen in America. I didnt think it was even possible.

another abuse, pulling for him. I cant believe how hard it is to get basic help. Having trouble eating, : (

Last edited:

Zebra

I don't understand how this went from a gastroenterology issue to a psychiatric issue so quickly. I am enraged.

I've read all 3 links provided in this thread, but there is no mention of what GI work up he's had to-date, or GI treatments tried, before being committed for presumed psychiatric issue.

Again, I did not see such information in any of the links provided above. Does anyone happen to know what GI work up this poor man has had thus far?

Thanks!