• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tests for genetic polymorphism

I've been reading about polymorphisms that create a disruption in the methylation cycle. I've spent over 500 in the last year on supplements but maybe I've been going about it backward. Is there a test I can take that will give me a profile of my genetics concerning this issue?

drex13

I've been reading about polymorphisms that create a disruption in the methylation cycle. I've spent over 500 in the last year on supplements but maybe I've been going about it backward. Is there a test I can take that will give me a profile of my genetics concerning this issue?

Dr. Amy Yasko tests for methyl cycle genetic defects specifically. You can order the test from holisticheal.com. I think it's about $450. You get your results plus an interpretation and recommendations for treatment. (I believe). You can also get tested from 23andMe.com. This is cheaper but you have to go through the raw data to find your results, and there are no recommendations or interpretations, and while they test more genes overall, they don't test as many genes as Yasko in relation to methylation, but most are there. If you go with 23 and me, there are threads here on PR and other sites that help with interpretation.