• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Test and treatment suggestions for M.E Herpes?

Guwop2

My M.E emerged some months after I started seeing someone who has Herpes. It coincided with other things happening in my life (intense stress etc), but it is something I’ve never looked into (never looked into the Herpes angle). I’ve seen some new research regarding Herpes M.E and am now thinking a test might be worth taking,
my question is: what test should I have done
and: what antivirirals should I then try and get hold of to treat it?

I have only in the last 6 months shown physical sign of genital herpes, prior to that the last 7 years with my long term partner (who has the herpes virus) I showed no physical signs of it. I may well have had it for many years/could have been the trigger for my ME ( could have been an ‘abortive infection’).

Hip

My M.E emerged some months after I started seeing someone who has Herpes. I

There's not a strong link between herpes simplex virus and ME/CFS, although there have been ME/CFS patients who responded to the Pridgen Antiviral Protocol for herpes simplex (normally used for fibromyalgia, which Pridgen thinks may involve herpes simplex).

Doctors usually use antibody tests for ME/CFS patients.

Its quite feasible that you caught an ME/CFS-linked virus like enterovirus or herpesvirus from kissing, when you started going out with that new individual. That may have been the trigger for your ME/CFS. Nearly all the ME/CFS viruses are transmitted by saliva.

Enterovirus infections like coxsackievirus B and echovirus can start with a gastrointestinal upset (vomiting and diarrhea), a flu-like illness or a sore throat. Herpesviruses like EBV may start with the symptoms of glandular fever (mononucleosis).

It's hard to get the right tests for all these viruses. The tests that ME/CFS doctors use for ME/CFS viruses are detailed in this roadmap.

Guwop2

Enterovirus infections like coxsackievirus B and echovirus can start with a gastrointestinal upset (vomiting and diarrhea), a flu-like illness or a sore throat. Herpesviruses like EBV may start with the symptoms of glandular fever (mononucleosis).

It's hard to get the right tests for all these viruses. The tests that ME/CFS doctors use for ME/CFS viruses are detailed in this roadmap.

I had a stomach type thing (“both ends”) a few months before getting M.E too (on arriving back to London from a 6 month period in Japan - immediately after my first meal back in the UK I remember distinctly).

I’ll have a look at those tests, I’ve had a few of them already I know. Thank you