• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Telemedicine expanded for Medicare recipients due to coronavirus

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Rufous McKinney

And this is so important as, before this, a patient who had the virus would just turn up at a doctor's office or ER, potentially infecting medical staff and other patients.

So then- on Sat and Sunday you have no access to your doctor. Mine might return a phone call in an emergency. But obviously, if corona hits, alot of folks may all be calling.

Those of us with chronic illness or higher vulnerability should- be able to have medicine ON THE SHELF.

And I went to the ER with my flu and nobody- diagnoses anything. They never determined what I had. (maybe in theory- but I could not produce enough urine when they asked. So I received no diagnosis.) (I left with a urine jar, like I could have, myself, gone home and somehow- turned it into a lab. But I'm sick and not touring labs.)

My PCP....the office manager who deals with appointments keeps contagious folks- Out In the Parking Lot. Wipes down surfaces, keeps them in a separate room/ which I greatly appreciate.

Gingergrrl

And communication must take place through a two-way interactive video and voice link.

I copied that from the article and it seems unrealistic, and very challenging, that many seniors would be able to set up a "two-way interactive video and voice link" for the call w/their doctor (especially if they are very sick). I know that neither of my parents would have been able to do it and I'm not even sure if I would figure it out myself! I wish there was a way that the doctor could just talk to the elderly patient on a regular phone call!

bspg

Plant Queen
I copied that from the article and it seems unrealistic, and very challenging, that many seniors would be able to set up a "two-way interactive video and voice link" for the call w/their doctor (especially if they are very sick). I know that neither of my parents would have been able to do it and I'm not even sure if I would figure it out myself! I wish there was a way that the doctor could just talk to the elderly patient on a regular phone call!

Agreed. I understand why the two way video communication is beneficial but it's not practical. 😞

Wolfcub

That is exactly what I was thinking @Gingergrrl Even I am not beyond getting my head around Skype, but my system is old and I can't set it up. I tried in 2013, and nope -unless I get a new laptop!
There ought to be a phone option. I know that's limited to an extent, but clever questions can get the right answers over the phone.

Sushi

I copied that from the article and it seems unrealistic, and very challenging, that many seniors would be able to set up a "two-way interactive video and voice link"
Skype, FaceTime, WhatsApp. I think the majority of seniors know how to use them as they communicate with family and grandchildren that way. These can all be used on your phones.

Gingergrrl

Skype, FaceTime, WhatsApp. I think the majority of seniors know how to use them as they communicate with family and grandchildren that way. These can all be used on your phones.

My Dad is 86 years old and has never owned a lap top or cell phone and has never used Skype, Face time, or even sent a text. He is very intelligent and fully cognitively intact but he would not be able to do this. Thankfully, he remains in excellent health and is fully independent (outside of having melanoma last year which of course required seeing a doctor and surgeon in person). I know many elderly people who would not be able to do this and do not even own a cell phone.

Sushi

My Dad is 86 years old and has never owned a lap top or cell phone and has never used Skype, Face time, or even sent a text. He is very intelligent and fully cognitively intact but he would not be able to do this.
I wonder if he would be open to a phone like the Jitterbug, made especially for seniors who have never used a smart phone. It would be a safely measure for him right now.
1583630868092.png

Inara

I copied that from the article and it seems unrealistic, and very challenging, that many seniors would be able to set up a "two-way interactive video and voice link" for the call w/their doctor
In Germany the doctor can now issue a 7-day-sick leave via the telephone alone which is more reasonable.

Many people will feel it's easier to go to the doctor's than to set up a video software I believe. And then both parties need the same software. And the software needs to be safe; Skype is not (it's Microsoft now). Most free video/phone softwares are not safe.

At this time people should accept the "danger" of simulants who want a 7-day-holiday. That's really irrelevant in my view. But fear of simulants seems to be bigger than fear of viruses.