• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Teitelbaum's post on Psychology Today (and my response)

gosh this forum is amazing - searched 'teitelbaum' because i'd just picked up a copy of his book cheaply, thinking there might be some useful info in it, and wanted to find out a bit more about what others in the ME community thought of him...wonderful to find all these comments. certainly gave me a bit of insight into the general opinion of the man!!

Sunday

moonchild, I had the same experience. I think there is some useful info in the book, but it is all mixed up with nonsense and it becomes especially malevolent when you see that he's confusing CFS/ME with fatigue, and making no apology for that confusion. There is someone on this forum who had a heart attack due to overprescription of thyroid medication from one of his FFCs. She was stonewalled by Dr. T. That's criminal. (Sorry brainfog can't locate the posts.)

sunday, that's terrifying. it's so hard to know what to take from a book when you don't feel you can trust everything that the author is saying...how can we possibly know what information to take and what to leave? so not sure if i should spend the energy trying to delve in to his book now or not ( it was his info on d-ribose that i was initially interested in because it's something i keep hearing about).

was quite impressed by this article i found on his website:

http://www.endfatigue.com/web-newsletters/nl_53e_01-08-2010.html

(didn't seem to be dismissing XMRV as i'd suspected he might be from some of the earlier comments in the thread)

muffin

Never cared for this guy. I understand we all have to make money but he is marketing CFIDS like a snake-oil salesman. His protocols are also dangerous as some people out there will attest to. I met a woman who went to him and the things he had her on were outright dangerous and I told her so. He had pumped her up with stimulants and other dangerous meds to the point that I really believe she was headed right towards a major heart attack. Really not a fan of this guy...

muffin

I'm with George!

GEORGE'S COMMENT: "Six hours of sleep. I wish! I sleep 12 hours straight a night! Wake up refreshed and stay that way for about 15 to 20 minutes. HA Then I spend my other 12 hours by doing something for 30 min. resting 30 min., doing something for 30 min. resting 30 min., doing something for 30 min. resting 30 min.

After 12 hours of that I'm dead to the world for the next 12 hours.

'Course it's better than the original 16 hours of sleep that I was doing the first year of the illness!
Got to be thankful for the little things."

I started my little CFIDS trip sleeping 22 hours a day. I am at about the 12 to 16 hour mark now, 15 fun-loving years later!! A trip to the supermarket and then putting the stuff away knocks me out cold for one to three hours. I can sleep anywhere and at anytime. I can sleep sitting up, standing up and upside down! But the sleep is NOT refreshing and I would do anything to get just an hour of Delta Wave sleep each night - as my sleep studies show NO Delta Wave AT ALL.

Isn't CFIDS FUN!!!!

i'm the opposite - hardly sleep at all (due to the pain)...the idea of six hours sleep is blissful! totally different story in the beginning when i slept all the time - now i'm constantly exhausted but just can't sleep. really good to have this feedback on teitelbaum thanks.

With all the criticism....

How is it that there are people who post on his Facebook wall asking for advice and praising him? Don't they do a Google search and see all the comments on various websites. I have half a mind to organize a Facebook wall flashmob to bombard him with criticism.

Recovery Soon

I think there is some useful info in the book, but it is all mixed up with nonsense and it becomes especially malevolent when you see that he's confusing CFS/ME with fatigue, and making no apology for that confusion.

Very well said.

he is marketing CFIDS like a snake-oil salesman.

He grossly overstates his ability to treat the disease and lures the newly sick into believing this will be an easy road back to wellness.

The title says it all.

Coming down with this disease- navigating the glut of of costly misinformation- and then being given false hope is completely unethical.

And then there's the emotional road of bouncing back from the disillusionment that this thing will not go away- and that your days of feeling fantastic are gone until real science comes up with a real cure.

Every time he is on television he sets us back. The snake-oil smile sends shivers down my spine.

He's got a new book out. I'd like to know what kind of bs he is peddling now, but I'm certainly not paying for it, and I don't want to ask the people at the bookstore if he has it because they might think people want it and start to stock it.

Ok. Facebook Flashmob, noon EST Saturday. Go to Teitelbaum Facebook site to tell him what you really think. Pass it on. But I think you have to 'like' his page before you can post on his wall, so I don't know if this will take traction.

TheMoonIsBlue

He's got a new book out. I'd like to know what kind of bs he is peddling now, but I'm certainly not paying for it, and I don't want to ask the people at the bookstore if he has it because they might think people want it and start to stock it.

You could see if your library has it.