• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

T4/t8 ratio immune system question

D

Djembe

Hi ,

I know there are some very intelligent people on this forum. I was looking back through some of the results of tests that I have had done over the years.I had my Lymphocyte profile done a few years back and noticed the results now and was wondering what they mean. My T3 and T4 cells seemed to be in the normal range but my % T8 Suppressor and cells/ul were high. The ratio of T4/T8 was Low. According to what i have read if the ratio is high then it would indicate a possible autoimmune problem. My ratio was low yet i have very high Thyroid AB profile which would indicate an autoimmune problem. This doesn't make sense to me as surely if my T8 Suppressor cells were high then that would be suppressing the immune system yet in my case my immune system is very overactive. ??

Thanks

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Hi, a low cd4/8 ratio means your immune system is getting tired, it is one test they use for aids patients to see how strong there immune system is. Having aids and low cd4/8 ratio is when they say they are hiv positive. Dont take this test as being a diagnosis for aids, just a test to see how your immune system is functioning. Most immune test that show above or below range indicate some type of infection going on, if its high your body is able to mount an attack on the bug(if its successful is another storey), if its low your body is struggling to mount an attack, this would possibly be worse then being elevated as now you could be open to other infections etc. I think the people with cfs that say they dont get other infections would probably have an elevated immune response( possibly insomnia tired but wired and more aches and pains), those with cfs that tend to catch every bug going around i would bet have low levels of lymphocytes and lymphocyte ratios, neutrophils etc and probably sleep ok although dont feel rested when they wake up.

Thats just my self educated speal on it. Hope it helps.

cheers!!

hi i was wondering if you could tell me what a low t8 suppressor cell count means?(219)My t4 helper cell is normal. also is says my t4:t8 ratio is high(2.5)

the comment on the results say:mild cd8 positive t cell immunosuppression demonstrated.the number of circulating B cells is within normal limits.The number of phenotypically defined natural killer cells is within normal limits.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
even though ratio is high, having a low cd8 lymphocyte count would also mean immune system tiring out. Whats your total lymphocyte count? cd4/8 ratio is mainly for aids patients, but can be handy for us. I would also get a natural killer cell function test. When numbers are low is when you really need immune stimulants like immunovir, cycloferon or herbs like astragalus etc. So definately some sort of on going infection and a candidate for antivirals or broad spectrum antibiotic or both as a trial and see if u feel better after a few months. could ask your doc for more specific testing like ebv,cmv, hhv6, mycoplasma, chlmydia pneumonia etc, all the ones common in cfs. High or low lymphocyte subsets mean some type of infection going on, but low levels mean immune system tiring. There not specific although looking at all the numbers u would think so. I do know elevated cd8 can indicate one of the herpes infections going on like ebv,cmv, but not specific.

hope this helps,
cheers!!!

sorry that was my B-cell subsets at 181. it says on my results that the lymphocites is 18% 1224 cells/ul