• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Systemic Candida questions...

Hi, all! I have been diagnosed with a systemic Candida infection. We have been fighting it for over a year now, but I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you will be able to answer:

I have never had a vaginal infection in my life. I'm 39 and have had three children. Never had thrush breastfeeding, etc.., but after a week in the hospital on massive iv antibiotics, I developed excruciating joint pain (everywhere), and after a few months of testing, docs found a Candida infection (IGg and IGa are both very high). They say that the Candida has "seeded" in my joints, and that's why it's so hard to get rid of.

At any rate, my question is this: if the infection is systemic, wouldn't I be fighting vaginal infections, etc. like a lot of others do? Doesn't systemic imply that it will travel and show up in other areas of my body?

Thanks for any help! :)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi, all! I have been diagnosed with a systemic Candida infection. We have been fighting it for over a year now, but I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you will be able to answer:

I have never had a vaginal infection in my life. I'm 39 and have had three children. Never had thrush breastfeeding, etc.., but after a week in the hospital on massive iv antibiotics, I developed excruciating joint pain (everywhere), and after a few months of testing, docs found a Candida infection (IGg and IGa are both very high). They say that the Candida has "seeded" in my joints, and that's why it's so hard to get rid of.

At any rate, my question is this: if the infection is systemic, wouldn't I be fighting vaginal infections, etc. like a lot of others do? Doesn't systemic imply that it will travel and show up in other areas of my body?

Thanks for any help! :)

Hi,

It doesn't always show up as vaginal infections. I have also been fighting system candida for many years. Candida can proliferate in many parts of the body and sometimes you don't recognize what is going on.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Sushi

What effects has it had on your body? What treatments have you tried?

Treating candida has been important for me. Most of my symptoms lessened a great deal. I even grew a lot of new hair! Now I try to keep the level down with good doses of caprylic acid each day.

I have tried just about every candida treatment known to man including IV hydrogen peroxide at a clinic in Mexico. Every time I get careless and start eating a bit of sugar I have to go after it again. A couple of months of diflucan usually gets it under control.

Lately I have done well with caprylic acid maintenance (and oil of oregano in capsules sometimes) and of course being strict with diet. I think it is in my sinuses though so this is a good reminder to go after it there.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Why is it htat most people can eat sugar and not have a candida infection, though? I'm trying to figure out why diet matters for some people and not others...

ukxmrv

Michelle,

What kind of doctors did the test and diagosed the systemic candida? Are you happy with that dx or maybe questioning it here with this group?

Would you be happy to tell us why you needed the AB's in hospital?

Oh, I'm satisfied that the diagnosis is correct. It's a regular doctor, but I've seen the blood test results. I was in the hospital because I developed an inter-abdominal abscess after a hysterectomy. I had a drain and three different antibiotics by iv around the clock for 6 days straight. It was horrendous.

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
I just received the results of Candida blood tests on Tuesday, and all three types of antibodies (IgG, IgA, and IgM) are very high. I'm 100% convinced this is from years of taking Nexium. The doctor started me on Diflucan, but only for 30 days. I'm wondering if this is enough. Most people seem to take it for 6-8 weeks.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm Herx-ing already from the Diflucan.

Sushi

The doctor started me on Diflucan, but only for 30 days. I'm wondering if this is enough. Most people seem to take it for 6-8 weeks.

See how you go with a month. Are you taking 100 mg or 200 mg? I felt better almost immediately on diflucan.

Sushi

Sushi

Adster

I just received the results of Candida blood tests on Tuesday, and all three types of antibodies (IgG, IgA, and IgM) are very high. I'm 100% convinced this is from years of taking Nexium. The doctor started me on Diflucan, but only for 30 days. I'm wondering if this is enough. Most people seem to take it for 6-8 weeks.

You may also be b12 deficient after long term nexium use as it blocks b12 absorption from food.

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
Sushi, I'm taking 200mg a day. Still Herx-ing after 4 days. My doctor said he was reluctant to prescribe more than 4 weeks because Diflucan is hard on the liver, but he said he would extend it two weeks if I asked.

Adster, I didn't know that. I've been taking B12 sublingual drops, but may have to 'suck it up' and start giving myself injections.

Thanks to both of you.

Sushi

Sushi, I'm taking 200mg a day. Still Herx-ing after 4 days. My doctor said he was reluctant to prescribe more than 4 weeks because Diflucan is hard on the liver, but he said he would extend it two weeks if I asked.

Adster, I didn't know that. I've been taking B12 sublingual drops, but may have to 'suck it up' and start giving myself injections.

Thanks to both of you.

Maybe you can ask him to do liver tests. My doc did when prescribing it for over a month. And injected B12 does pack a greater punch. I inject.

Sushi

xrunner

No candida experience, I'm just reading up to prepare myself ahead of starting mercury chelation which can cause yeast flare ups.
You may find helpful searching info between monocytes and yeast. I understand that monocytes when working properly will eat yeast.
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IAwMT1...ANOOmqMgrNiCs/Neutrophils, Yeast and DMSA.txt
and this
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19898545
Recent studies have shown that black and green tea polyphenols exhibit both antimicrobial and strong cancer-preventive properties. Experiments were conducted to determine the effects of these polyphenols on C. albicans. Standard growth curves demonstrated a 40% reduction in the growth rate constant (K) with a 2 mg/mL concentration of Polyphenon 60, a green tea extract containing a mixture of polyphenolic compounds. Cultures treated with 1.0 micromol/L -(-)epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), the most abundant polyphenol, displayed a 75% reduction of viable cells during biofilm formation. Established biofilms treated with EGCG were also reduced, by 80%, as determined through XTT (2,3-bis(2-methoxy-4-nitro-5-sulfophenyl)-2H-tetrazolium-5-carboxanilide) colorimetric assays. Identical concentrations of epigallocatechin and epicatechin-3-gallate demonstrated similar biofilm inhibition.