• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Swollen post auricular lymph nodes

My daughter has had painful post aurical swollen lymph nodes 2-3 on both sides for two days. They are very prominent along the mastoid bone (the bone right behind the ear), a little smaller than a pea maybe the size of a small caper. The swelling started about 40 hours after her initial physical therapy session. I'm not sure if it is related to the exertion of the therapy or not. She had therapy today and a node on the left side was actually visible immediately after therapy. She did say however that she felt better after therapy than before she went in.
My question is about the lymph node location. I've read that with CFS there can be CERVICAL and INGUINAL node swelling but I can't find anything on post auricular nodes or really any other nodes at all. Are the post aurical nodes considered cervical? Does this sound like a "normal" CFS thing?

Pyrrhus

I've read that with CFS there can be CERVICAL and INGUINAL node swelling but I can't find anything on post auricular nodes or really any other nodes at all.

ME/CFS can come with swelling of various lymph nodes, even postauricular nodes.
In my case, the swollen lymph nodes are the occipital lymph nodes at the back of the head.

Both occipital and postauricular nodes collect white blood cells from the brain, so when there is a resurgence of a brain infection, these nodes are some of the most likely to swell.

Hope this helps.

ME/CFS can come with swelling of various lymph nodes, even postauricular nodes.
In my case, the swollen lymph nodes are the occipital lymph nodes at the back of the head.

Both occipital and postauricular nodes collect white blood cells from the brain, so when there is a resurgence of a brain infection, these nodes are some of the most likely to swell.

Hope this helps.

This does help, thank you. This would go with our thinking that there might be some inflammation in her brain/spinal fluid.