• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Swollen eyelids

jlynx

I have a relatively new symptom that started over several months ago, where my upper eyelids are constantly swollen. It appears as if there is fluid above the eyelid and they are drooping over. I am only 23, it cannot be from aging. But my eyes look old and terrible. I don't have any allergies that I am aware of. Looking it up it's possible it could be from thyroid issue? I have thyroid hormone resistance and was treating with compounded T3 but last it was checked my levels were normal. I was low in Iodine and Ferritin and was treating them so it's possible they affected my levels. I have had persistent hair loss for years and after supplementing with them the hair loss increased for some reason so I stopped taking them.

It is puzzling and distressing. Should I see an eye doctor? Endocrinologist? What could be causing it?

Kati

Patient in training
Hello @jlynx

I don't have any answer for you. It is rather unusual. Personally I would take photos, and make an appointment with an eye doctor (the photo is so that you have proofs, because the symptom usually disappears on the day of the appointment! :D ).

Another suggestion would be to take note of whether there are worse time of day, or time of the month, and whether there is other troubling symptoms.

You may want to try hot compresses to see if will be helpful, (cold compresses too) to see if it will change anything. i believe there are gel packs specifically made for the eyes that you can either put in microwave or in the freezer.

As for the thyroid, regardless of your eye problem, it is always best to get this king of thing taken care of.

i hope this helps! Good luck!

Paralee

@jlynx , I really am not sure, I have it but I'm a lot older than you, but I did read a while back that it might have something to do with connective tissue disorder.

Gingergrrl

I would see an opthamologist to make sure it's not ocular herpes zoster or something that urgently needs to be treated. If it is allergic related, there are OTC Ketotefin eye drops called "Zaditor" that have been extremely helpful for me with my eyes- even better than a prescription eye drop that I have used for 20+ years!

taniaaust1

hi, I dont think Ive seen anyone else mention this symptom till now. I had this happen to me early ME, my eyes swelled so much that they swelled almost shut and I looked like a bullfrog due to them

(unfortuntately I never got a photo of this being so sick at time and have no idea what caused it though I always wondered if it could of been the CMV? but then I dont really know how that affects eyes just have read it can affect babies eyes). I didnt see a dr when this happened.

As someone else said, try to get a photo of this, I regret a lot that I never took photos of the more unusual symptoms I had early illness

Seven7

Seven
Hypothyroid may cause this ( I have this issue too).

Droopy eyelids also can be sign of EDS if you have the other symptoms.

This are just ideas see a doctor

bread.

I have a relatively new symptom that started over several months ago, where my upper eyelids are constantly swollen. It appears as if there is fluid above the eyelid and they are drooping over. I am only 23, it cannot be from aging. But my eyes look old and terrible. I don't have any allergies that I am aware of. Looking it up it's possible it could be from thyroid issue? I have thyroid hormone resistance and was treating with compounded T3 but last it was checked my levels were normal. I was low in Iodine and Ferritin and was treating them so it's possible they affected my levels. I have had persistent hair loss for years and after supplementing with them the hair loss increased for some reason so I stopped taking them.

It is puzzling and distressing. Should I see an eye doctor? Endocrinologist? What could be causing it?
did it go away!?

also have hair loss and exact same symptoms with my left eye!

Hi! I’ve also had the exact same issue for a few years. When I had glandular fever the corners of my eyes swelled shut almost completely- I looked like that lion woman with all her botched plastic surgeries. Is it worse when you wake up in the mornings? Apparently it’s common with EBV and called Hoagland’s sign (periorbital oedema). Mine has just returned - albeit no where near as bad as when I had mono - but it’s affecting my left eye.
Is it mostly just the corners of the eye where your nose is?

Seadragon

I also had puffy eyelids and bloodshot eyes when I first got ill after Mono. I also had swollen lymph nodes at the time. I still have very slightly bloodshot eyes a lot of the time but not the puffy eyelids anymore.

Best see a doc if concerned particularly if other new symptoms are present.

I had mono in 2017 and ever since that I have VERY PUFFY area above eyes. It only went away right after second Pfizer shot but came back a couple of months later. I FEEL my eyes being swollen. I saw an eyes doctor, unfortunately the only spot available was only during that time when I was okay- after vaccination. So he didn't see anything. Has anyone has any news re this? I am a woman in my early 30s, I look horrible. Want to get a blepharoplasty for that, but am afraid if it would come back. The weird thing is the guy who gave me mono later said he had mono a few years back- in 2017 he also had a very puffy area above eyes.