• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sweet/Metallic taste in back of throat symptom

Guwop2

Hello,
I am hugely intolerant of all sugar-based foods , anything over 10g per 100g i have to avoid brings back my more severe symptoms of fatigue and poor wellbeing. The same goes for coffee, or anything with caffeine in. The other day to bring me out of an unproductive fug I had half an espresso. I was able to work for the rest of the day really well, but the PEM for 3 days after was terrible.

One symptom i have noticed with this has been a sweet/metallic taste at the back of my throat after having the coffee. I just spoke to my doctor and he just doesn't think this is significant. Has anyone else experienced a similar effect after having coffee/ a stimulant that may raise cortisol/adrenaline levels to produce this odd taste? The aftermath is the strange taste i mentioned, but also a hollow feeling in up chest/throat area- a virus-like feeling - and of course the fatigue. After 3 days these symptoms have died down, but i just can't believe they mean nothing, just acid reflux as my dr suspected.

Sound familiar?