• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Survey: Has statin medication helped ease ME/CFS symptoms?

Has statin medication helped ease ME/CFS symptoms?

• Yes, I am now in remission

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I think I have less fatigue during the day

• Maybe

• Total voters

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
As you may have read, I have been taking a high dose of a statin since September 2019. This has resulted in me going into remission from moderate ME/CFS. I wonder if this drug has helped anyone else?
Can you tell us more? Like: why were you originally prescribed it--high cholesterol or something else? What symptoms have changed and does your doctor have any idea why? Do you take CoQ10 along with it as they are often prescribed together as statins lower levels of CoQ10. CoQ10 itself sometimes helps patients by itself. I take red yeast rice which is a low dose statin, but haven't noticed any effect on symptoms. Thanks!

Can you tell us more? Like: why were you originally prescribed it--high cholesterol or something else?
I was prescribed it after I had a minor stroke.

What symptoms have changed ...
At the start of September, I was needing to have 13 hours of sleep or bedrest in every 24 hour period. it is hard to believe that I am now sleeping for no more than 8 hours in any 24 hour period. I no longer need any bedrest apart from normal sleep.

... does your doctor have any idea why?
My doctor is not sure why. However, an article by Dr Jacob Teitelbaum has mentioned that statins have broad spectrum antiviral qualities that might be helpful in treating ME/CFS.

Do you take CoQ10 along with it as they are often prescribed together as statins lower levels of CoQ10.
Yes, I am taking at least 150mg of coenzyme Q10 and 50mg pregnenolone per day.

I take red yeast rice which is a low dose statin, but haven't noticed any effect on symptoms. Thanks!
I am taking 80mg atorvastatin per day. This is considered to be a high dose.

As you can see, I have only had 1 response so far. Statins are usually used as a medication to treat high cholesterol, and have many names. As a lot of people have high cholesterol, could it be that you are taking a statin that is helping with your ME/CFS without knowing it?

Some examples are:
atorvastatin (Lipitor),
fluvastatin (Lescol),
lovastatin (Mevacor, Altocor)
pravastatin (Pravachol),
simvastatin (Zocor), and
rosuvastatin (Crestor).

See: https://www.emedicinehealth.com/understanding_cholesterol-lowering_medications/article_em.htm